Saturday, May 15, 2021

Gabbie aka Bella

Wishing you a very happy birthday filled with love and laughter. Go enjoy a big slice of vegan cake.


Life - The Vogelkop Bowerbird: Nature's Great Seducer - BBC One


“One of the most moving texts I have ever read” – the last letter to Osip Mandelsta



Philosophy with children Aeon 


Bizarre …

“Tomato is a vegetable, not a fruit,” says Supreme Court.


Essays & Opinions

The tyranny of the footnote. In the age of Google, chasing one literary citation leads to another, and down a digital rabbit hole 

  • Wishing you a very happy birthday filled with love and laughter.

A Bitter New Orleans Graffiti War Over… Dan Marino?

To outsiders, street painters of all sorts might seem to be natural allies. But that’s not always the case. Rivalries and territorialism are always part of the picture. For some, street painting is meant as a gift to society; for others it’s pure rebellion; for most it’s somewhere in between. After two weeks of turf war, the wall at the corner of St. Claude Avenue and Marigny Street was the equivalent of a smoking battleground that bore the scars of Krylon combat. – New Orleans Times-Picayune



What Goodreads Has Done To My Reading, And Why I’m Giving It Up

“Quantifying, dissecting and broadcasting our most-loved hobbies sucks the joy out of them. I find myself glancing towards the corner of the page to see how much I’ve read. … Even when absorbed in the climax of a story, one eye is always on my proximity to the end, when I’ll be able to post it all to Goodreads. … [It’s] far more performative than I have previously admitted to myself: I love reading, but I also love the feeling of people thinking I’m well read.” – The Guardian