Take me to The Lakes, where all the poets went to die
I don’t belong and, my beloved, neither do you
Those Windermere peaks look like a perfect place to cry
I’m setting off, but not without my muse”
Take me back there soon.
1) I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one.
2) That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.
3) That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.
4) In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.
5) That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.
6) That “this government, of the people, by the people, and for the people,” shall live always.
7) That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.
8) That sooner or later . . . somewhere . . . somehow . . . we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.
9) That all things change, but the truth, and the truth alone lives on forever.
10) I believe in my Creator, my country, my fellow man.
It’s based on Lake – Windermere in the English Lake District.
began as a suicide note. “I was, fortunately, too exhausted and disorganized to plan a suicide, much less compose an elegant rebuke to an uncaring world”... elegant