Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Fog of Cold War

The Fog of Cold War Dissident Voice: It’s a book review, but the book is important. I’m restraining myself to pasting in just one paragraph”:
It was headed by Steve Possony, a Hungarian émigré who professed to be an expert on Communism in general and the Soviet Union in particular. Steve was the first of several Central European émigrés I met in the next few years who passed as experts on Communist Europe….Others were Stausz-Hupé, Kissinger, Brzezinski and many lesser lights such as Leon Gouré and Helmut Sonnenfeldt. In every case I felt that they were thinking, consciously or otherwise, as representatives of a lost cause in their native land, and I always believed that they were used by the military because their ‘obsessions’ were so useful. (FTFM, p.80)