Saturday, June 13, 2020

How Publishers Determine When to Release Hardcover Books in Paperback

 “I have discovered that even the mediocre can have adventures and even the fearful can achieve.” 

UNWANTED MEMORIES OF AGA'S GRAVE. Seven Winters after the Prague Spring of 1968. The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I think somebody has already written that. I did! But I was wrong about ...



Why Digression Is Good, In Eating And In Writing

How should food writing work? “On the one hand, it should communicate the demands of craft, expressing the physical skill of cookery with words on a page; on the other, food writing should convey emotional content, the ability of food to carry inside it memories personal and historical. It was crucial for me that neither of these strands should dominate above the other.” – LitHub




Victims of Russian nerve agent attack start new life in New Zealand: report


Former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia had been living in the English city of Salisbury when they were poisoned.

100 Books to Read Before You Die | Reedsy Discovery


How Publishers Determine When to Release Hardcover Books in Paperback - Here at Book Riot, we are obviously into books. We love all books equally, but sometimes prefer a certain format when it comes to reading.  Some Rioters detest hardcover books. Others love mass market paperbacks. Of course, we know audiobooks are more than just a trend. Personally, I prefer reading ebooks because I can easily highlight passages, make notes for reviews, and I always have a book on my phone wherever I go. No matter our reading preferences, we can all agree there is only one appropriate response to the ebook versus physical book debate. Whichever of thedifferent book formats you use to get your read on, bibliophiles know the usual publishing timeline. Hardcover books come first. Paperbacks get a set of steak knives. Everything else gets in where it fits in. Nonetheless, with all the various ways to consume books and with all of us book nerds ready and willing to give publishers our hard-earned money for books in all of their various formats, I couldn’t help but wonder: “Why do we have to wait months for publishers to release the paperback version of hardcover books?”…



    At Timesnownews.com Akrita Reyar has a Q & A with Banipal-publisher Margaret Obank, 'The problem is not conflict with other cultures, but ignorance of them, which leads to the fear of the other'


Julia Amory, founder of India Amory, recommended Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crownby Anne Glenconner this week. I told her that I wasn’t allowed to buy any new books until I read the ones I already had piled up but then went ahead and ordered it anyway. It’s touted as, “an extraordinary memoir of drama, tragedy, and royal secrets by Anne Glenconner–a close member of the royal circle and lady-in-waiting to Princess Margaret. As seen on Netflix’s The Crown.” Sounds very exciting and I can’t wait to start reading it.