Monday, May 19, 2014

We read to know we are not alone ...

        At each street corner, looking back
I see myself among the ruined squares,
the cafés and the harbour bars, 
repeating the identical mistakes.
~ jozef Imrich will never learn from his lessons ...


In my play about C.S.LewisShadowlands, I gave Lewis the line, ‘We read to know we’re not alone.’ That has been my own experience. It’s through books that people I’ve never met have reached out to me, saying, ‘This is what matters most to me. Does it matter to you too?’ This feeds something very different to the appetite for entertainment. It feeds, I suppose, the hunger for meaning.
Orwell of Howell (Havel) Fame

We seek the immortality of fame around the same time our bodies begin to seek the sweet peace of oblivion. Such is the contradiction of being human. – Jonathan Grimwood, The Last Banquet

Computers didn't kill privacy.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg didn't kill privacy.
So who killed privacy? We all did, of course. Accidentally, perhaps.
Or maybe, like the fairies in Peter Pan, privacy only lived as long as we continued to believe in it. 
~ History like our stories repeat across generations as few of us avoid bulls or fools ...

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another. 
– Anatole France


If hell is waiting for us, how can we not be afraid? And if there is no escape, what is the point of anything we do?
~ bear pit participants ...
There was no plan B. And plan A leaked water all over the place. –Niccolò Ammaniti, Let the Games Begin