Saturday, May 17, 2014

Mastermind


If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees. 
 – Kahlil GibranThe Wanderer (quoted in Bitter Like Orange Peel) 

Jonathan Swift was an early adopter of the maxim “Write what you know.” In his case, it was grotesque displays of bodily degradation... I knew Cold River
julio-cortazar-jazz.jpg

Revolution of everyday lifewill begin with every one sleeping in.
Only when men and women
have slept in unexpectedly
will they experience
a momentary glimpse
of life outside of
spectacular society.


Stripped to its essentials, science is a four-step process: you look at something interesting in the world, you think about why it might work that way, you test your idea with further observations and experiments,band you  tell everybody you know what you found
Mastermind 


The other day somebody stole everything in my apartment and replaced it with an exact replica... When my roommate came home I said, “Roommate, someone stole everything in our apartment and replaced it with an exact replica.” He looked at me and said, “Do I know you?”
“Cry me a river,” Dennis said through his teeth.
“Beg your pardon?”
“Cry me a river, it’s an expression. Basically it means all you guys can go f*** yourselves.”
“Oh. Well. That’s awfully sentimental of you.”
– Ben Fountain, ‘The Lion’s Mouth’