Monday, May 05, 2014

Taking The Kafkaesque Out Of Kafka

Death is inescapable, but so is a craving for immortality. And for carbohydrates. You’d better skip those if you want to see 120... Plans of men & mice ....     ~~~ Kafka - Black on Black The first born daughter of the Czech Velvet Revollution of 1989 .. Kafka's Second Star ...



The story, “The Judgment,” I wrote during the night of the 22nd, from 10 P.M. to 6 A.M., in one sitting. I could hardly pull my legs out from under the desk; they had become stiff from sitting. The frightful exertion and pleasure of experiencing how the story developed right in front of me, as though I were moving forward through a stretch of water. Several times during the night I lugged my own weight on my back. How everything can be hazarded, how for everything, even for the strangest idea, a great fire is ready in which it expires and rises up again.... At 2 A.M. I looked at the clock for the last time. As the maid came through the front room in the morning, I was writing the last sentence. Turning off the lamp, the light of day. The slight pains in my chest. The exhaustion that faded away in the middle of the night.... Only in this way can writing be done, only in a context like this, with a complete opening of body and soul.  Only in this way can writing be done, only in a context like this, with a complete opening of body and soul


article_inset_ozick
Whoever utters “Kafkaesque” has neither fathomed nor intuited nor felt the impress of Kafka’s devisings. If there is one imperative that ought to accompany any biographical or critical approach, it is that Kafka is not to be mistaken for the Kafkaesque.  The New Republic 

  • Power and Culture on the Internet
    HOW has the Internet changed our culture, politics, and economic structures? One of the smartest answers to this complicated question comes from lefty filmmaker Astra... Taylor