Sunday, December 10, 2023

Waiting Room for God: Wasabi effective in improving memory of elderly: study

Brighter Stanmore Crossing the Border to the Inner West


Willa Cather wrote: "Isn’t it queer: there are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before; like the larks in this country, that have been singing the same five notes over for thousands of years."

 Source: The Writer’s Almanac 


If one considers how immeasurable the time was before one's own creation and how infinite it will be after one's own death, one must realize how incredibly short and immeasurably precious our lifetime really is. It's just a tiny moment in infinite eternity. Make the most of it. Don't collect things, collect precious moments. Live like you're on vacation, where you know your time is limited and all you care about is eating well, relaxing and having fun. The cemeteries are full of people whose lives were spent in procrastination, who believed they were irreplaceable. Memento Mori. Carpe Diem .


I counted my years and found that I have less time to live from here on than I have lived up to now.

I feel like that child who won a packet of sweets: he ate the first with pleasure, but when he realized that there were few left, he began to enjoy them intensely. I no longer have time for endless meetings where statutes, rules, procedures and internal regulations are discussed, knowing that nothing will be achieved. I no longer have time to support the absurd people who, despite their chronological age, haven't grown up. My time is too short: I want the essence, my soul is in a hurry. I don't have many sweets in the package anymore. I want to live next to human people, very human, who know how to laugh at their mistakes, and who are not inflated by their triumphs, and who take on their responsibilities. Thus human dignity is defended and we move towards truth and honesty. It is the essential that makes life worth living. I want to surround myself with people who know how to touch hearts, people who have been taught by the hard blows of life to grow with gentle touches of the soul. Yes, I'm in a hurry, I'm in a hurry to live with the intensity that only maturity can give. I don't intend to waste any of the leftover sweets. I am sure they will be delicious, much more than what I have eaten so far. My goal is to reach the end satisfied and at peace with my loved ones and my conscience. We have two lives. And the second begins when you realize you only have one.


On May 1, 1947, Evelyn McHale walked 86 floors to the observation deck of the Empire State Building and jumped off. She landed on top of a United Nations limousine with her legs perfectly crossed. Photography student Robert Wiles was walking nearby and captured the image just minutes after McHale died. The Most Beautiful Suicide was printed 11 days later in LIFE magazine, gaining instant fame.McHale was only 23 years old and one of the youngest children in her family. She joined the Women’s Army Corps during the war and then moved to New York City with her brother and sister-in-law, where she worked as a bookkeeper. On April 30, she caught a train to Easton to celebrate her fiance’s 24th birthday. When she left, she seemed “happy and as normal as any girl about to be married.” However, when she arrived in New York City that evening, she wrote a suicide note which stated “My fiance asked me to marry him in June. I don’t think I would make a good wife for anybody. He is much better off without me.”



Wasabi effective in improving memory of elderly: study Kyodo News


Bacteria can store ‘memories’ and even pass them on to future generations ZME Science


Plant Fungus Has Been Caught in an Evolutionary Leap Science Alert


Microbial miners take on rare-earth metals Nature



Words of wisdom …


Escapism: A Letter from Willa Cather | Commonweal Magazine


Plant Fungus Has Been Caught in an Evolutionary Leap Science Alert. Opposable thumbs?


The Eyepopping Factory Construction Boom in the US Wolf Street


Vibes vs. data Noah Smith, Noahpinion


IMRICH by DJANGO & JULIETTE is a modern women's heel that will have you stepping out with elegance. This chic heel features a strap across the toes and a fine ankle strap, with buckle adjustment. The triangular block heel combines fashion with stability, while the open square toe shape adds a contemporary touch. IMRICH delivers the perfect blend of sophistication and fashion-forward flair. 

Material: Leather upper & lining, synthetic sole 

Heel Height: 6cm