To understand the UK’s low-pay crisis, Mark Carney needs to get out more The Guardian
Treasure Islands Tax Havens and Lionel Murphy: the controversy continues
Camilla Hodgson, 'Life-changing consequences:' HMRC warns on risks of hiding wealth offshore in new crackdown (Business Insider Date not indicates but I believe today or yesterday), here.
The UK tax collector is sending letters warning of the "potentially life-changing consequences" of failing to disclose offshore-held wealth, as part of a drive to prevent people skirting tax rules.
Millions of UK taxpayers are being sent the warning via their financial institutions and advisers.
These institutions have been given until the end of August to explain to all clients the risks of failing to declare offshore-held money and assets.
Some 60 to 70 Swiss private banks are facing serious problems that could force them to close down or sell up, according to a study published on Thursday by consultancy KPMG.
Fighting diminishing profits caused by fierce competition and a global clampdown on tax evasion, these banks must work to cut costs and buy up competitors to reach adequate size.
But many of the affected banks will ultimately have to exit the market, the study concluded.
“I‘m convinced that at least half will disappear,” KPMG manager Christian Hintermann said, adding many of these banks were now making losses. “It’s ultimately a question of how long their owners want to carry these losses.”
* * * *
The number of Swiss private banks has already fallen by over a third from 180 in 2005, according to the data.
"Reflections on the Australian tax system" By The Tax Institute - September 12, 2017 written by Matthew Pawson CTA*
Is Efficiency Biased?, by Zachary Liscow
NZ’s Jetfield Networks & Larkstone Ltd, the US$142.5 mln tipped into the alleged Azerbaijani Laundromat, and their formally warned NZ company agent Equity Trust International Interest.co.nz (Richard Smith)
Bring in bounty rewards for whistleblowers, federal inquiry says
- Amazon 'pays 11 times less corporation tax than traditional booksellers' (12 Sep 2017)
- Rich People From These Nations Hide the Most Offshore Wealth (12 Sep 2017)
- Here are the countries whose wealthy stash their riches in offshore havens(12 Sep 2017)
- WHO OWNS THE WEALTH IN TAX HAVENS? MACRO EVIDENCE AND IMPLICATIONS FOR GLOBAL INEQUALITY (12 Sep 2017)
- European Commission welcome digital taxation proposal (12 Sep 2017)
EU states propose 'turnover tax' to fight back against tech giants' corporation tax dodging (12 Sep 2017)
- Amsterdam to increase tourist tax to reclaim city for residents (12 Sep 2017)
- Hibs explain backing of SFA decision on Rangers tax case (12 Sep 2017)
- Chart of the day, offshore tax haven market-share edition (12 Sep 2017)
- Gibraltar in the spotlight: the Rock in a hard place over Brexit, tax … and sewage(12 Sep 2017)
- UK Tax evasion corporate criminal offence guidance updated (12 Sep 2017)
- The Facilitation of Tax Evasion Offences (Guidance About Prevention) Regulations 2017 (12 Sep 2017)
- HMRC - Tackling tax evasion: Government guidance for the corporate offences of failure to prevent the criminal facilitation of tax evasion (12 Sep 2017)
- British Columbia government raises carbon tax, corporate tax rate (12 Sep 2017)
- What if there isn't a “global financial cycle” after all?(12 Sep 2017)
- 'Friends of the Court' Have Hidden Ties to Big Investors (12 Sep 2017)
New York Times op-ed: When the Rich Said No to Getting Richer, by David Leonhardt: