Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Highlights of NSW Local Government Election Campaigns

Local Labor Legend Dinner with Bob Carr and Laurie Brereton  ....

Michael Caine interview: ‘Every single person I knew became rich’ Independent. Better than the headline– describes a bygone but still recent era when opportunities for those of great talent but humble origin expanded, due to public policy choices

THE Labor Party is predicted to dominate Bayside Council 16 groups and two standalone independents are standing 

Last night the right toasts its Young Labor might - Crikey

Memories of the Local Giants

“Cr Anthony Andrews and Cr Harry Stavrinos were very vocal at lobbying the other councillors to get the development approved even though it clearly fell short of a number of planning objectives,” said Mr Lissette.

“Cr Andrews and Cr Stavrinos concerns were only for the developer around extra fees/costs they would be charged if they had to alter the plans, which is clearly inappropriate.”
Randwick residents disillusioned over development clash

North Korea Trump Cold War all crucial political topics were touched ...

NSW local government elections: Which council areas need to vote ...

Premier forced to step in over minister's council merger remarks

“A challenge to a partisan redistricting plan in Wisconsin goes before the Supreme Court this fall in the case of Gill v. Whitford. In the New York Times article “The New Front in the Gerrymandering Wars: Democracy vs. Math,” Emily Bazelon writes of the significance of the case, “The outcome of the Supreme Court’s decision in Gill v. Whitford is likely to shape American politics for years and perhaps decades to come.” Social Explorer Co-Founder and CEO Andrew Beveridge collaborated on an amicus brief for the trial (filed yesterday). Professor Beveridge is a nationally recognized research scholar in the area of redistricting and an expert on drawing district lines. The brief is unique in its focus on the role of big data and modern redistricting tools and analysis. Now more than ever, political leaders in power are able to draw more and more nuanced maps that favor their parties’ candidates. At the same time, experts and courtrooms can also use these advances to better evaluate and challenge redistricting plans. Read the introduction and summary of argument to find out more. (The full brief is available here.)”

Government promises Hornsby council fix after 'toxic' mayor dumped

Ms Chen's WeChat post was a mere joke, she said.

Fried octopus for your vote? 'Joke' lands councillor in hot water

NSW local government elections: Labor at short odds to dominate ...

NSW local government elections: Labor at short odds to dominatecouncils in ... THE Labor Party is expected to take control of mostcouncils in Sydney and north ...

Administrators emerge as prospect for merged Sydney councils - Brisbane Times

The Randwick resident, who would only identify as Dr Jayasuriya, took aim at his local councillors. “Randwick councillors turned their backs on their colleagues on the unanimous resolution of council, on the affirmations that they made to their residents,” Dr Jayasuriya said. “Ignored the plight of the community and succumbed to the pressure from the local government minister to join forces with Waverley to consume Woollahra.” Dr Jayasuriya claimed that he could produce an “illuminating” example of these allegations. “I submit that the fundamentally flawed process of how it conducted and analysed this community survey is an illuminating example,” Dr Jayasuriya said. “Only 30 per cent of the survey respondents supported amalgamation, the remaining 70 per cent either don’t support or are not sure,” he said.
Labor Randwick Mayor, Noel D’Souza, did not directly reference that statistic in particular during his address to the forum and delegates earlier that day. Cr D’Souza instead opted to assert that around half of the residents who responded to the survey were in favour of an amalgamation, with the other half against. Cr D’Souza indicated that the resident’s problems were not associated with amalgamations in general but with a previously proposed, much larger, global city option.
10 ways to have a better conversation via Celeste Headlee

Job losses due to automation were a key factor in the election result. But what is Trump doing about it now that he's in office? Read more