Tuesday, March 25, 2003

It fills me with great joy, but I am also filled with a lot of sadness tonight because I'm accepting an award at such a strange time. My experiences of making this film made me very aware of the sadness and dehumanization of people in times of war and the repercussions of war. Whether you believe in God or Allah, may he watch over you and let's pray for a peaceful and swift resolution." (loud applause) "I have a friend from Queens who's a soldier in Kuwait right now, Tommy Szarabinski, and I hope you and your boys make it back real soon and God bless you guys, I love you. (more applause and standing ovation)
--Adrian Brody

Arts Oscars: Political

Begrudgingly I must admit to having more respect for those who chose to express their pro-war views with their lapel-wear than I have for those who are against this war but chose to make no statement at all.
After Moore, host Steve Martin came back and got a laugh with his line, As you might expect, things are going great backstage. The Teamsters just loaded Michael Moore into the trunk of his limo.
Contrast Moore with Adrian Brody who got cheers and a standing ovation for his heartfelt plea that the war end soon.

· Teamsters [CommonDream]