On the eve as Gabbie flies out of Australia, to explore tangible history of Iron Curtain and Berlin Wall, Sydney gets a taste of Communism in Czechoslovakia... ( 100 years of Bauhaus: Berlin and beyond )
Prague's and Berlin's combo of glamour and grit is bound to mesmerise Gabbie who is too keen to explore its vibrant culture, cutting-edge architecture, fabulous food, intense parties and her family history. Strange how the young people want to experience our old countries these days ... and even try to move there on permanent basis
Andrew Robb of Sunshine fame shared 5 minute youtube about Vietnamese Tofu Man named Duc at Czech & Slovak Film Festival (Future Man by AR soars into sunshine film festival on documentary
*The Homeless 8-Year-Old Chess Champion and Other Horrific ‘Uplifting’ Stories FAIR Tonight’s must read.Hatuey’s Ashes: Lenin was not a ‘Leninist’: Critical Comments on Democratic CentralismHuatuey’s Ashes (UserFriendly)Companies cannot afford to ignore older workers Financial Times lHow the Church Left Depoliticizes DSA Branches Benjamin Studebaker Depressing. They don’t want to get what the first women partner in M&A on Wall Street said at a Radcliffe meeting on work/life balance, where the panelists were discussing things like maternity leave: “Nothing will change until women own the means of production.”
Jan Palach Producer, Silvia Panakova, of Arena Film Production, shared with us few inside stories about the making of this powerful story...
Robert Sedláček reconstructs the final months of a Czechoslovak student’s life before he sets himself on fire in protest against the Soviet occupation
“A Czech agent broke the rules, he hurt the wife of one of my sources. They asked me to ignore it. I couldn’t.”
“I took him up to the roof of my office building.”
“The Czech bounced.” (groan)
“Search Encrypt uses local encryption to secure your searches. It combines AES-256 encryption with Secure Sockets Layer encryption. Search Encrypt then retrieves your search results from its network of search partners. After you’re done searching, your search terms expire so they are private even if someone else has access to your computer.”
Present with captions in Google Slides
How the NYPD is using machine learning to spot crime patternsStatescoop: Civilian analysts and officers within the New York City Police Department are using a unique computational tool to spot patterns in crime data that is closing cases. A collection of machine-learning models, which the department calls Patternizr, was first deployed in December 2016, but the department only revealed the system last month when its developers published a research paper in the Informs Journal on Applied Analytics. Drawing on 10 years of historical data about burglary, robbery and grand larceny, the tool is the first of its kind to be used by law enforcement, the developers wrote.
The NYPD hired 100 civilian analysts in 2017 to use Patternizr. It’s also available to all officers through the department’s Domain Awareness System, a citywide network of sensors, databases, devices, software and other technical infrastructure. Researchers told StateScoop the tool has generated leads on several cases that traditionally would have stretched officers’ memories and traditional evidence-gathering abilities…”
AI Needs Better Data, Not Just More Data - Center for Data Innovation: “AI has a data quality problem. In a survey of 179 data scientists, over half identified addressing issues related to data quality as the biggest bottleneck in successful AI projects. Big data is so often improperly formatted, lacking metadata, or “dirty,” meaning incomplete, incorrect, or inconsistent, that data scientists typically spend 80 percent of their time on cleaning and preparing data to make it usable, leaving them with just 20 percent of their time to focus on actually using data for analysis. This means organizations developing and using AI must devote huge amounts of resources to ensuring they have sufficient amounts of high-quality data so that their AI tools are not useless. As policymakers pursue national strategies to increase their competitiveness in AI, they should recognize that any country that wants to lead in AI must also lead in data quality.