Saturday, July 11, 2020

Best Movies in 2020: So Far So Good


WHY NOT



If I peeked into your office at work
And showed you my biggest grin,
Would you grin back?
Or would you get angry?
Or maybe, just maybe, you’d burst out laughing!

If I knocked on your door at dawn on Sunday
And I held out a big package wrapped in bright paper with a bow and card saying, “Just to Let You Know I Care,”
Would you politely ask whom the package was for?
Or would you refuse to take it and send me away?
Or maybe, just maybe, you’d accept the gift with a warm smile and thank me whole-heartedly!

If I was sitting in your car
When you went to get in,
Would you uneasily ask me what I was doing?
Or would you slam the door, holler at me, and never leave your car unlocked again?
Or maybe, just maybe, you’d ask me where I needed a ride to!

If I was sitting at your kitchen table when you came home
And there was a wonderful meal, ready and waiting for you,
Would you stand in shock?
Or would you call the police?
Or maybe, just maybe, you’d greet me and thank me by inviting me to stay!

Your answers to my questions might have been negative so far
And that’s because you don’t know me,
But I still have a couple of questions left.
What would happen if you did one of these things for a friend?
Why not?

The late, great garden designer Rosemary Verey once famously said, ‘True gardening is as much about the bones of a garden as it’s planting.’ Indeed, few outdoor schemes are complete without some form of hard landscaping. The materials used – from paving and aggregates to decking and decorative edging – will add texture, character and structure, leading the eye through the landscape


“The self is really a self-pattern” — Shaun Gallagher (Memphis) explains what this means and why we should accept it


A new blog of news and commentary on university policies and affairs — from Daniel Star (BU), the site is currently mainly focused on COVID-19 and the ethics of university policies, at BU and beyond

A hunger for auditory escape. Now forty years old, the Walkman was the device that taught us social distancing. Its legacy lives on today  



I Long to Read More in the Book of You: Moomins Creator Tove Jansson’s Tender and Passionate Letters to the Love of Her Life

“I’m so unused to being happy that I haven’t really come to terms with what it involves… I feel like a garden that’s finally been watered, so my flowers can bloom.”

I Long to Read More in the Book of You: Moomins Creator Tove Jansson’s Tender and Passionate Letters to the Love of Her Life

“All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured,” says Too-ticky, trying to comfort the lost and frightened Moomintroll under the otherworldly light of the aurora borealis


Atlantis


Podcast with Mary Hirschfeld on Christian economics, and with transcript.


What Scott Sumner has been watching.


The Sisyphean cycle of technology panics.


The 25 best movies of 2020?



Mind Sang is an inventive short film about “perception, rebirth, and transformation”. What I most liked about watching was how effortless it was to see the transitions between all the optical illusions — but it wasn’t too easy. A great sense of pacing by filmmaker Vier Nev. Read an interview with Nev about his film on Vimeo’s blog.