Saturday, April 25, 2020

Bohemian Antipodean Heritage: Frank Prihoda almost 100 STO Lat

Ever Wonder ‘What It’s Like To Be A Bird’? David Allen Sibley Has Some Answers NPR


Frank Prihoda was born in 1921 in Prague, but snow was a bit of a nuisance. In the streets around his house, snow was cleared away as it interfered with the city functioning.
“I went skiing for the first time at the age of eight, not a very successful affair for me,” recalled Prihoda. “My sister and various cousins did much better. More seriously skiing started for me at the age of 13.
Australia’s oldest Olympian Frank Prihoda celebrates his birthday




Frank as a bird on skis in 1956


The area known as Thredbo Village had been used by early graziers when, in 1955, a Czech by the name of Tony Sponar (St Anton), working as a hydrographer for the Snowy Mountains Authority, realised the great potential of the area as a Ski Resort. Sponar had been a ski instructor at St Anton, Austria, from 1941 to 1948 and saw Thredbo developing with the same atmosphere as at St Anton.Tony Sponar Thredbo Alpine Museum

Thredbo Heritage Bohemian Connection


Australia’s oldest living Olympian, Frank Prihoda, celebrates his 100th birthday today.

Prihoda, who was born in Prague in Czechoslovakia on July 8, 1921, developed a love of skiing as an eight-year-old.

 (This story reminds of the family Tragedy as my mum’s sister and my auntie Ota who escaped in 1948 escaped with her husband to Germany through dangerous swamp crossing  of Šumava - Sudetenland ) 

Following a communist coup in 1948 in the wake of World War II, Prihoda and his brother-in-law were driven to the border of Austria where they fled their country. The pair skied across a frozen lake to Austria and, a year later, Prihoda boarded a ship to Australia.



The Best Scholarly Books of the DecadeChronicle of Higher Education.I’ve read none of these – but I will order some of them from my bookseller. And I confess that even though I am a voracious reader, I’ve been too distracted by the ongoing calamity to finish many books. Keeping up with the day’s news is taking up my all my time and my mental energy

WILLIAM BRIGGS. ANZAC Day 2020: why they died and for what?


It is now 105 years since Gallipoli. We have had more than a century to reflect and possibly learn the odd lesson or two. But it seems that nothing has been learned. Continue reading