Thursday, April 02, 2020

Being Receptive to Bullsh*t More Generally Can Predict One’s Love of Essential Oils

“Once I was behind the camera with the film unspooling, time flowed like the cool, clear waters of a high ravine, where I could swim my way upstream.  My body took on buoyancy, and even walking the same ground as before felt like something more than walking.  I became the force of time incarnate, following a steady rhythm, passing through the scripted motions one by one like they were floating weeds that curled around my body.”

Death loves other people.  It’s not concerned solely with itself.  It collects names, faces, human destinies, and gladly reads them.  Fine, I thought, I will write about myself.  And throw in a little about them; let everything be saccharine and romanticized, in the pastel shades of their underwear.  But when I got down to writing, it became clear that I didn’t know how to write sappy stories.  I wrote how I thought, and my thoughts were explosive.” 
~ From “Day Trip to Durmitor.”

“Camona Street is not in my parish,” [the priest] said, “but even so it was my church [Emily Vance] came to – perhaps because it is out of the way and ill-attended. I went to see [her landlords], I felt I had to. In the four years she had been their lodger, they told me she’d had no visitors, had not once used the telephone, received no letters, and I realized that this [girl] had found some kind of sanctuary in the corner of a shadowy pew in a church.” – from “The Unknown Girl.”

News Corp to suspend print editions of 60 local newspapers as advertising revenue slumps Guardian

What Makes a Community Resilient? Stanford Business

Everyone Does What They’re Told, But No One Knows Why The American Conservative







A lot of blue cities and blue states failed the test here, and they’re all going to be singing this tune. It wasn’t the feds that told New Orleans to have Mardi Gras when other events were closing down, and it wasn’t the feds who told NYC to encourage people to go to Lunar New Year parades and ride the subway.



If you want to tell them you noticed, they can be reached here.

THIS SEEMS PLAUSIBLE:  Being Receptive to Bullsh*t More Generally Can Predict One’s Love of Essential Oils

Amateur team builds ultra-efficient electric car in a barn Yale Climate Connections

Why the U.S. Is Running Out of Medical Supplies (transcript) Sarah Kliff, New York Times. Very good.

Buying Face Masks and Other PPE from China: Not For the Faint of Heart China Law Blog

I Spent A Day In The Coronavirus-Driven Feeding Frenzy Of N95 Mask Sellers And Buyers And 

This Is What I Learned Forbes