Saturday, December 15, 2018

COLD RIVER DREAMING: FROM PAGE TO SCREEN

“You can choose courage, or you can choose comfort, but you cannot choose both.”
– BRENÉ BROWN

He was that “righteous one without whom, according to the proverb, no village can stand…. Nor any city. Nor our whole land.”  Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn at 100

THE SONG THAT CAME IN FROM THE COLD: “Baby It’s Cold Outside” begins its return to some radio stations


Paul Kelly
I went down to the river,
I set down on the bank.
I tried to think but couldn't,
So I jumped in and sank.

I came up once and hollered!
I came up twice and cried!
If that water hadn't a-been so cold
I might've sunk and died.

     But it was      Cold in that water!      It was cold!

I took the elevator
Sixteen floors above the ground.
I thought about my baby
And thought I would jump down.


I stood there and I hollered!
I stood there and I cried!
If it hadn't a-been so high
I might've jumped and died.

     But it was      High up there!      It was high!

So since I'm still here livin',
I guess I will live on.
I could've died for love—
But for livin' I was born

Though you may hear me holler,
And you may see me cry—
I'll be dogged, sweet baby,
If you gonna see me die.

     Life is fine!      Fine as wine!      Life is fine!
 


When words fail me

Name a place, a time, a feeling, there's a Paul Kelly lyric to fit ...



Domain tonight with BC AC and VIP M L MO'N Paul Kelly (@paulkelly) | Twitter





  • When you see 300 people naked in Grand Central Station, 
  • or a river of flesh flowing through the beauty aisles of 
  • Selfridges department store, it makes you think about all 
  • sorts of social and political issues... 


A new Clint Eastwood movie opens Dec. 14, based on reporting by Sam Dolnick for the New York Times Magazine. "The Mule" stars Clint Eastwood as a veteran with no criminal record who began working for Sinaloa drug cartel. Dolnick's story published in 2014, and this week he wrote for the Times Insider about what it was like to have been the starting point for what evolved into a full-length film.

Far from wishing the screenwriter had struck strictly to the facts, Dolnick embraces the idea that it's a better story with Hollywood magic. "Fiction filled in the spaces where journalism could not go," he writes. "I cannot wait to see it."  
    

Speaking of movies, "Divide and Conquer: The Story of Roger Ailes," a documentary about the Fox News chief, was released this weekend. J. Max Robins writes for CJR about his and other journalists' experiences covering Ailes. The Hollywood Reporter says the movie's box office debut was disappointing, but not unexpected, since it was simultaneously released on video  — you can rent it on Vudu for $6.99.


Dimensions.Guide is a comprehensive reference database of dimensioned drawings documenting the standard measurements and sizes of the everyday objects and spaces that make up our built environment. Created as a universal resource to better communicate the basic properties, systems, and logics of our world, Dimensions.Guide is a free platform for increasing public and professional knowledge of life and design. Updated daily. [Take a look – you will be amazed – and return again and again – my favorite of the moment – and it changes daily, is the dimensions of the giant turtle.]

Inside Higher Ed, Princeton A Cappella Group Won't Sing Kiss the Girl From The Little Mermaid After Complaints That Its Performance Made Audience Members Uncomfortable:
In its typical performance of “Kiss the Girl” from The Little Mermaid, one of Princeton University’s all-male a cappella groups, the Princeton Tigertones, selects a woman from the audience.