Saturday, January 18, 2003

Internet Tapping Into Digital Community

Thanks Sylvia for the tip. There's a nice-ish ironic observation of my blog and Glenn Reynold now appearing on the RoadtoSurfdom website:
‘The compelling thing about this little look at Glenn Reynolds, the fingers behind Instapundit, is it's breathless fascination with workload. Like simply doing things is an end in itself.’
‘Speaking of Glenn Reynolds, I reckon Jozef Imrich is a sort of Mitteleuropa Instapundit, which I mean as a compliment, as Media Dragon is a great site.’
What this exchange most reminds me of is the variety of deeper reasons which drive many bloggers to tap into the engaging digital world. Recently, I was very touched when Adina Levin pointed to her father's Holocaust experience as one of the reasons she blogs: ‘One of the questions that I had about approaching adulthood was, if the place that I lived started sliding toward totalitarianism, would I be one of the people who spoke up... this is one small thing that I can do to help make people aware.’
· Serving Oxygen & Ideas [Road to Surfdom a.k.a. Tim Dunlop]

Internet The No. 1 Blogger: Outing on Instapundit

The weblog craze hasn't gone out of style yet. The New York Times today takes note of one of the most popular bloggers, Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit. Reynolds, a law professor, has built a large and loyal audience around a weblog that covers a broad range of topics. (He calls himself ‘a Renaissance dweeb.’) Instapundit is a bit out of the weblog ordinary because of its lack of focus; most blogs have a very narrow topic focus (like this one) and have more modest audiences. Few break out to the mainstream as Instapundit has done.
· Renaissance dweeb [NY Times]