Wednesday, January 15, 2003

Life Ordinary Extraordinary Calvin Trillin: Grandfather knows best

I'm offering all sorts of delivery possibilities—English fish-and-chips, Indian chaats, Japanese ramen, Singaporean fried rice. Menus are being flashed in front of her. I mention roasted chicken, the simple tuna-fish sandwich, soup dumplings. Yes, soup dumplings! I tell her that if she'd like to finish off by having Cones, just around the corner on Bleecker Street, bring over a pint of hazelnut gelato, that, too, can be arranged. I think it's fair to say, Abigail, I tell her as I continue to flip through the menus, "that there's practically no type of food that can't be found within a few blocks.
· Delivery of possibilities [New Yorker]

Libraries The New York Times has a love letter to NYC libraries.

The suburban library of my childhood, with its glass atrium, pristine bathrooms, deep easy chairs and smorgasbord of new fiction, spoiled me forever. This, I thought, is what all libraries are like. College did nothing to dispel this notion. I loved the library at Brown University as much as I'd loved the one in Syosset.
· Rooms of Wonder [NY Times via BookSlut]

Google Question. "Paul Krugman, Princeton prof and NYTimes columnist

Poor drstrangelove. He (she?) doesn't realize that friends of the administration must have already looked into all of this. Read Lou Dubose's new book "Boy Genius", about Karl Rove, and you'll realize that if there was something there they would have used it. In fact, they would have invented something if they thought it would stick. But to save drstrangelove additional trouble and money, here are the answers.
· Good Answers [Princeston via MetaFilter]