Sunday, January 12, 2003

Internet Microcontent News Turns Macro

When I published my first Microcontent News article last week, I wasn't expecting too much of a reaction. It was five in the morning, so I emailed my friend Hylton (publisher of Corante and Microcontent News) about the article, and went to bed, exhausted.
I woke up a few hours later and hurriedly checked the server logs, anxious to see if any of my friends had linked to the article. The results stunned me: dozens of links all pointing to the article, creating a massive surge in traffic! Miraculously, that night the article hit the #3 slot on Blogdex - and the followup piece was Slashdotted (three times!), Metafiltered, and even mentioned in Microsoft's Slate and HotWired's Monkeybite. All in all, over 30K visitors visited Microcontent News over the next week, all looking to read the article.
· Korante [Microcontent News]
· Interactive technology [CJR]
· Bloggers who Link Dangerously [Useful Work]

As usual the guru blogger, Corante, point me to a thoughtful beginning of blogging. Blogging was born out of a need for independence and out of a simultaneous trust and mistrust for the community. People who join blogging groups keep their freedom. They don't accept any theories. They've had enough of the academies: laboratories of formal ideas.
· Trust [fishrush]
· 2002: Year of Linking Dangerously [SoundBite]