Friday, January 12, 2024

As workers ate lunch today, CEOs had already earned the equivalent of their annual salary

“A free society is only maintained to the extent that everyone is a dissident.” .”

– Jordan Peterson.



I have not forgotten it.

An unprivate death. Instapunditmet with some opposition when he showed the famous photograph of a man falling to his death upside down, having leapt from the burning World Trade Centre.

You can’t help wondering: did he know as he jumped that he’d turn in the air and spend his last seconds upside down? Mortal insult added to mortal injury. If he had known, would he have chosen the other death? I had a friend who died when both parachutes failed to open. I think of her when I see that picture. I don’t know if she fell upside down. I hope not.

I say, show it. Show it often. I know all about hating to see it: like most of you I can remember first seeing that picture on September 11 – only in my case it was September 11 2002. Out of all the hundreds of hours of film and the thousands of photos taken of the slaughter on September 11 2001, I saw only a few seconds of footage until a year later. On that day I didn’t want the children seeing people die on camera (though we talked about it, of course), particularly as I didn’t know if there were more attacks to come. My fear of the children seeing it flowed from my fear of me seeing it. I’ve always disliked even fictional images of modern-day, realistic violence, the sort of violence that can happen to me and mine; and this dislike has hardened into almost a (controlled) phobia since I had children. It’s a thousand times worse when the images are real. Yet my hunger to know more about what had happened was as primal, as voracious, as anyone’s. That hunger is a survival trait. (Refined and systemised, it is also a victory trait: the defining victory trait of Western civilisation. It will win us this war, too – if a fatal squeamishness more sickly by far than my purely visual queasiness doesn’t rot our guts first.)

I have nothing to add to what I wrote twenty years ago, and nothing to subtract either.



“What strikes you when reading about any number of NHS scandals since then isn’t so much the systemic failures, it’s the instances of individual cruelty to patients. Bereaved parents repeatedly told the Ockenden report about a lack of compassion from staff and some even said they were told they were responsible for their own child’s death. All of this amounts to a sense that the health services continually privileges the institution over the needs of patients at the most vulnerable times of their lives. When you consider how utterly inhumane that is, it becomes easier to understand how the NHS could contain a monster like Letby.”(See here for details on the Ockenden saga.)

– Alys Denby, Editor, CapX, in a weekly letter to subscribers of that platform. Denby writes about Lucy Letby, a nurse convicted last week of murdering a number of babies in a NHS hospital. 

Monsters can flourish in certain institutions, and it strikes me that those that are treated as near-sacred institutions provide cover for them. The NHS needs to be nuked from high orbit for various reasons


As workers ate lunch today, CEOs had already earned the equivalent of their annual salary The Canary


Tesla strike in Sweden is biggest test yet of Elon Musk’s anti-union stance WaPo

 

SpaceX sues US agency that accused it of firing workers critical of Elon Musk Reuters

 

The Magnificent Seven is not the only concentration America should worry aboutGillian Tett, FT. The deck: “Ownership of equities suggests that US democratic shareholder capitalism is more myth than reality.”

 

The New Geography of American Growth Apricitas Economics


DR MICHAEL MOSLEY: What I do to help halt ageing and stay healthy... From flossing twice a day to keeping my home at a chilly 15c, how to reduce 'inflammaging'