Wednesday, December 07, 2022

The Egg and I in the Czech Republic

Is Our Universe a Hologram? Physicists Debate Famous Idea on Its 25th Anniversary Scientific American



       The Egg and I in the Czech Republic 

       At Radio Prague International Ruth Fraňková reports on literary theorist Jiří Trávníček's new book, Betty a my, exploring: The Egg and I: Why is 1945 US bestseller topping Czech readers' lists ? 
       The enduring popularity of Betty MacDonald's book -- Trávníček notes that repeated studies have found her to be: "the most popular and most read author in Czechia" -- is indeed something of a headscratcher. But it's apparently been the case for a while -- a phenomenon that even found mention in Philip Roth's The Prague Orgy, as noted in the piece.  
       See also the Host publicity page for Trávníček's book -- and I hope we'll get to see this in English at some point; it sounds like a fascinating local-reading/publishing study. 


“Along with teaching us that lamb must be cooked with garlic and that a lady never scratches her head or spits, my mother taught my sisters and me that it is a wife's bounden duty to see that her husband is happy in his work.

"First make sure that your husband is doing the kind of work he enjoys and is best fitted for and then cheerfully accept whatever it entails. If you marry a doctor, don't whine because he doesn't keep the hours of a shoe clerk, and by the same token if you marry a shoe clerk, don't complain because he doesn't make as much money as a doctor. Be satisfied that he works regular hours," Mother told us…

“But I still think that Betty MacDonald offered Czech readers something else. It was the way she described American reality in the 1930s, specifically the kind of technologies she had on the farm.

“The readers would wonder: Look what they had in the 1930s. We don’t have that even today, in the 1970s and 80s.”




  On joining Mastodon BuzzMachine, November 21, 2022 by Jeff Jarvis: “An academic friend asked for help joining Mastodon. I wrote a detailed email in response that I thought it might be useful to others. I’m also going to teach a master class in Mastodon at my school on Dec. 5 — much interest, I’m told — so here is my preparation on the practical stuff. (I will also talk that day about the implications of federation on journalism and of affordances on communities such as Black Twitter.) Keep in mind that I am a newbie, so please correct me where where I stray…”

See also: Fedi.Tips an informal, unofficial guide for non-technical people who want to use Mastodon and the wider Fediverse. Browse the contents on the index below…and An Increasingly Less-Brief Guide to Mastodonand via Pete Weiss – The many branches of the Fediverse by Per Axbom