Sunday, March 27, 2022

24 Years Of Kottke and 20 Years of MEdia Dragon

The Winners of Sony World Photography Awards for 2022


Photojournalist Lynsey Addario on showing the face of war

Photojournalist Lynsey Addario has been making news herself lately: she recently took what many consider to be a war defining photograph–that of a church...




Minimalist Wordle Grid Art


24 years ago today, I published the first post on kottke.org and, aside from a few weeks-long stretches (including a two-month paternity break when my son was born), I just never stopped. 1998! The late 20th century, for god’s sake. I write an anniversary post like this every year and I’m increasingly unsure how to think about the magnitude of that length of time — 24 years is just a few months away from being half of my life. Half. Of. My. Life. How? Why?!

In 2018, on the 20th anniversary of the site, I wrote a little bit about what I’ve gotten out of the site:

Some of my older posts are genuinely cringeworthy to read now: poorly written, cluelessly privileged, and even mean spirited. I’m ashamed to have written some of them.

24 Years of Kottke



That’s the Way to Travel: Jan Heller Levi & Marlies Pekarek

Thinking of rasPutin, we laughed when a friend joked about availability of refurbished geiger counters on Amazon. Gallows humor

Jeff Alexander talks about orchestra strategy after COVID

Jeff Alexander, President of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, discusses orchestra strategy and DE&I in a post-pandemic environment.

Quick  Study: The Arts in Social Prescribing

In this episode, we discuss the phenomenon of social prescribing of the arts, its traction in the UK, and growing interest among arts/health researchers...

Three Magic Words in Arts Management

Whenever you’re dealing with complex and entangled issues of human behavior (and honestly, when AREN’T you?), there are three words that can help you...

Increased Cultural Isolation of Russia: Hermitage’s International Board of Museum Leaders Is Suspended

While it’s not as big a deal as Russia’s leaving the Council of Europe (announced yesterday), the announcement (also