Tuesday, June 05, 2018

How Social Media Is Engineered To Hijack Your Attention

Thanks to the mafia, almost 200 journalists in Italy live under police protection.
↩︎ The New York Times

 Imrichs in Medieval Times Trading   / Merchant Marines        Literature in translation in ... Australia 

       At The Conversation Alice Whitmore finds Australia's taste for translated literature is getting broader, and that's a good thing. 
       Of course it is ! 
       (And it is noteworthy that several Australian publishers have leapt ahead of US/UK publishers with some translations -- which speaks for them (and, alas, against the prevailing US/UK scene, which gets to a lot, but continues to have huge gaps .....)
 

Poetic Justice - The Sun Magazine:

We’re talking in my backyard — which I adore — but when I moved in, this yard was a suburban landscape of green grass and clean rock borders. I understand the ways in which our interactions with place teach us about who we are, and so I can see my way of dealing with my yard as an extension of the ways I deal with myself, my daughter, my family, and this world. We could have a homogeneous landscape, but I choose not to. That’s why I tore out the rock and grass and replaced it with soil and wildflowers. I crave another kind of ecosystem — one with a variety of life-forms. Not just flowers but native grasses and sometimes dandelions and bugs and rabbits and birds. This is more representative of who I am than a plain green lawn with pristine borders. My yard is diverse, full of surprise and wonder. That’s the America I want to be a part of.


Women retain and carry living DNA from every man with whom they’ve made love with Mind Foster “EEK! No wonder Women are so picky!”Amen  ... 


The 9.9 Percent Is the New American Aristocracy Atlantic. Late to this party. Thomas Frank figured this out years ago.





How Social Media Is Engineered To Hijack Your Attention


Scientists have been at this question for several years, studying people’s activity online and revealing interesting trends as to what makes content eye-catching and more likely to go viral. Emotional arousal is one key determinant. After analyzing 7,000 articles from the New York Times, Jonah Berger and Katherine Milkman from UPenn found that one of the main factors driving readers to share a story via email was how much it stirred them up.



The Two Sides Of Latitude Absurdity (Necessary For Insight)



Thomas Nagel argued that when we sense that something – or everything – in life is absurd, we’re experiencing the clash of two perspectives from which to view the world. One is that of the engaged agent, seeing her life from the inside, with her heart vibrating in her chest. The other is that of the detached spectator, watching human activity coolly, as if from the distance of another planet.


Ira Glass: I Have A Particular Set Of Skills, He Says In J-School Commencement Speech



“I am very aware that I make my living with a weird grab bag of skills that probably shouldn’t add up to anything. My primary skill is that I’m a good editor. That’s the main thing I do all week. From the start it was the one thing in journalism I had a natural talent for … an easy command of. I also have a bunch of showbizzy skills that go into packaging material into a program – pacing and flow and humor and emotional arcs. Stuff I learned basically in high school musicals and as a teenaged magician at children’s birthday parties.”