Monday, June 09, 2003

If I could not take refuge in posterity, in the certainty that with time my work will find its rightful place (an illusory refuge I know, but it’s the only one and absolutely necessary to the serious man of letters), I would have sent literature to the devil a thousand times.
--Giacomo Leopardi

Being Jozef Imrich My Blog is Duller than Yours

One of my guiding quotes is this one by Dostoevsky: A man may wish upon himself, in full awareness, something harmful, stupid and even completely ironic ... in order to establish his right to wish for the most idiotic things.

Have I shocked you by the ironic things I wrote to you?

I do wish sometimes I had written idiotic things like this:
· Sex Tips From Donald Rumsfeld
I sometime wish I could write under the thumb of Bettina Arndt, Old men in fear of a life stifled by marriage:

If men ever dared to reflect wistfully on former glories of patriarchy, high on the list would be the freedom once enjoyed by the man of the house to come and go as he pleased. That's long gone. The married man today rarely has rights to control his own leisure. Hell, no. He's now on a leash, a very short leash...

· Vanity Fair: Spanking good journalism
· Hiya reviewers

In the three decades since Watergate, this is the first potential scandal I have seen that could make Watergate pale by comparison. If the Bush Administration intentionally manipulated or misrepresented intelligence to get Congress to authorize, and the public to support, military action to take control of Iraq, then that would be a monstrous misdeed.
-- John Dean