Wednesday, February 12, 2003

A Little Round-Up of some author interviews from over the weekend:

Ariana Huffington, on PIGS AT THE TROUGH

Bob Schieffer on THIS JUST IN

Stevens Due on FREEDOM IN THE FAMILY

Louise Erdrich on her new novel (and her father)

William Gibson on PATTERN RECOGNITION, and writing in the present: I've been threatening to do this for the last three books. I think, in a way, the books themselves always felt to me more like alternate presents than viable futures. I don't buy it that I was writing about the future. This was a very challenging book for me. I had no idea how different it would be, as a result of changing a couple of what seemed like very basic parameters:
It's in the present ... (and) there's only a single narrative
viewpoint. The single narrative viewpoint is, by and large, in
real time. Cayce wakes up, and lives a chapter, and goes to sleep,
more or less. I've never done that before - I've always relied
on multiple points of view and a lot of sort of literary jump
cuts. I think I had to develop a sort of different narrative
musculature ...


Checking in with Mark Bowden