Friday, February 21, 2003

All great truths begin as blasphemies.
- George Bernard Shaw, writer

The Art of Being Great Emotional Truths: Richness of Feelings

The study of feelings, once the province of psychology, is now spreading to history, literature, and other fields.
· I feel humiliated rather than I am humiliated [Chronicle]

Others will witness acts of inhumanity that will haunt their remaining days. Evans tells the story of Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Kevin Carter who convinced himself that he was right in the mid-1980s to photograph the first known public execution in South Africa by 'necklacing,' setting fire to a gasoline-filled tire around someone's neck. 'I was appalled at what they were doing. I was appalled at what I was doing. But then people started talking about those pictures... then I felt that maybe my actions hadn't been at all bad. Being a witness to something this horrible wasn't necessarily such a bad thing to do.' Carter later took his own life.
· Is journalism worth dying for? Is history worth dying for? [TimPorter]

Greed, Good God!
· Christian Democratic Union representative [FAZ(Germany)]

Olympians
· Diary of the human dream [Siflayhraka]

Nan Wyatt, a very prominent broadcast journalist and radio personality in St. Louis, was shot to death last night. The St. LouisPost-Dispatch posted this story