Sunday, June 09, 2024

How Actors Memorize Their Lines

 “I like fights. I like a brawl. I think in that sense I’m slightly bizarre. I almost like being pushed into a corner because you have to fight your way out”.


Paul Keating said in his eulogy at the state funeral, that Neville Wran 'had a PhD in poetic profanity', which is something I can recall as well. He was a very creative, ingenious speaker when it came to some of the language that he used.

nifty


A list of the highest known prices paid for paintings. Some private sales aren’t on here and there are dozens (hundreds?) of paintings held by museums that are basically priceless (the Mona Lisa, etc).


Aussie dad ditches job to become YouTube gardening star with 2.3 million followers


How Actors Memorize Their Lines


Repeating items over and over, called maintenance rehearsal, is not the most effective strategy for remembering. Instead, actors engage in elaborative rehearsal, focusing their attention on the meaning of the material and associating it with information they already know. - Nautilus

Opera, Careers, And Jealousy


I am a jealous opera singer. When I’m in the audience of any opera production, at least once I’ll think to myself, “It could be me up there.” This statement is true: the opera industry is unjust and random. - 


London’s Evening Standard To End Daily Print Edition And Become Free Weekly

The Standard, which has suffered six straight annual losses (most recently, £16.4 million through October 2022), hopes to repeat the successful switch to digital-only by its sister publication, the now-profitable Independent, while continuing to be released in hard copy each week. - Press Gazette (UK)


How A Self-Help Book With No Publisher And No Brick-And-Mortar-Bookstore Presence Sold Over A Million Copies

TikTok, that's how. With The Shadow Work Journal, Keila Shaheen has become "perhaps the first self-published nonfiction author to break out in a big way on the platform, a feat she accomplished by fully harnessing its potential not just for marketing, but for direct sales." - The New York Times