Saturday, September 16, 2023

Praha’s Ajvaz: AI butchered a former NBA player’s obit. Could it still have a use?

The 2,000-year-old man turned 65 this autumn


LONGEVITY UPDATE:  I’m a 102-year-old — good sex is my secret to a long life. Well, hell, I should live forever then.


Opinion | AI butchered a former NBA player’s obit. Could it still have a use?

Those who have lost someone often face a thick fog of grief and a heavy load of end-of-life arrangements. AI could help them draft a basic obit.



    Eurozine has the English translation of an article from A2, Maria Siváková writing 'On the revival in Romani literature', in ‘I’ll be the first Roma woman to write sci-fi’

       Here's hoping that she does go through with that science-fiction project ! 


Michal Ajvaz Q & A 


       At The Collidescope George Salis has Cosmic Creations: An Exclusive Interview with Michal Ajvaz
       Among Ajvaz's explanations:
I prefer to talk about the area of Central Europe whose Bohemia is a part. Central Europe is roughly identified with the area of the former Habsburg Empire (the Austrians are Central Europeans, but not the Germans, even though they speak the same language), and the “spirit” of this area has features of absurdity, irony, and mistrust of all “great ideas. In this sense, I think my work has its roots in this Central European atmosphere. And by the way, I do not like the tag “magical realism” used in relation to my work; I do not think it has much in common with the work of writers like Márquez. I feel an affinity with Central European authors like Kafka or Bruno Schulz.
       Several of Ajvaz's works are under review at the complete review -- e.g. The Golden Age -- but I haven't gotten to Journey to the South yet.