ATO scandal claims first scalp as Sevag Chalabian quits the law profession
Festival of Outrageous Tax Ideas 2017 - 13 July 2017
Cities for the rich Le Monde Diplomatique
- [223 Downloads] Can New York Publish President Trump's State Tax Returns?, by Daniel Hemel (Chicago)
- [166 Downloads] A Taxonomy for Tax Loopholes, by Heather Field (UC-Hastings)
- [163 Downloads] The Rise and Fall of the Destination-Based Cash Flow Tax: What Was That All About?, by Daniel Shaviro (NYU)
- [137 Downloads] Shareholder Wealth Effects of Border Adjustment Taxation, by Fabio B. Gaertner (Wisconsin), Jeffrey L. Hoopes (North Carolina) & Edward L. Maydew (North Carolina)
- [133 Downloads] Why Don't White Supremacists Pay Taxes?, by Eric Franklin Amarante (UNLV)
- Lotta Björklund Larsen (Linköping Universit), Karin Thoresson & Ulf Johannesson, A Thrice-Told Tale: A Collaboration Between The Swedish Tax Agency And Academia, 3 J. Tax Admin. 6 (2017)
- Richard Collier (Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation), Tax Competition, Tax Co-Operation and BEPS, 3 J. Tax Admin. 22 (2017)
- Deogratius Ng'winula Mahangila ( University of Dar es Salaam Business School, Tanzania), The Impact of Tax Compliance Costs On Tax Compliance Behaviour, 3 J. Tax Admin. 57 (2017)
- Kristin E. Hickman (Minnesota), Administrative Law's Growing Influence on U.S.Tax Administration, 3 J. Tax Admin. 82 (2017)
- Stephen Daly (Dickson Poon School of Law, King’s College London), Tax Exceptionalism: A UK Perspective, 3 J. Tax Admin. 95 (2017)
There’s no reason to beat around the bush here: what the FBI is claiming is mind-boggling when they claim the shooter had no target in mind. Consider the number of accidents of circumstance you would have to believe were going on here to not have the shooter doing what seems obvious from every piece of evidence we have: researching and planning for an attack on Republicans of some kind, particularly looking for an opportunity when security will be low and vulnerability will be high. This was an attack, not an “anger management” problem.Step back, though, and think on the institutional conclusions here. Considering how ludicrous the FBI’s conclusions are as it relates to an attack on the third ranking member of the House of Representatives, you might reconsider whether to trust the FBI’s conclusions in other areas, as well.
Tools for debunkers
First Draft partnered with Full Fact ahead of the recent British general election. In this article, members of that team look at the various tools they used to surface the fakes that were doing well on social media.
14 articles for fact-conscious science writers
The science reporters and fact-checkers leading the Poynter-organized SciFacts workshop put together a list of 14 reference articles for those seeking to report accurately and fight misinformation. Find them all in this Twitter thread.
Wonder Woman vs. Superman vs. misinformation
The claim that Wonder Woman star Gal Gadot earned far less for her work than Henry Cavill as Superman sent Twitter on a spin.The evidence, however, was terribly scant; and ELLE, which had run the story, fudged its original article with an "update" that should really have read "Correction."
He's mad, and he's fact-checking
The Angry Chef has a new target: alternative facts about nutrition and health. The Guardian talked with him about his crusade to debunk unhealthy health myths.