Sunday, July 25, 2021

House by the Lake: The Spanish island that communicates by whistle

On the small Canary Island of La Gomera, an ancient whistling language that once almost died out is now undergoing an exciting revival.

The Spanish island that communicates by whistle BBC


FASTER, PLEASE:  Soft skin patch could provide early warning for strokes, heart attacks.


Some Indian street food vendors are richer than you might think


The new DeepMind proteins advance (NYT).  And Technology Review coverage


The Icelandic literary world


 Ten questions you should not ask in Iceland.


This porcelain collection is an excellent choice for residential projects thanks to Aparici innovative technique for a smoother finish, ensuring a higher adherence and anti-slip rating, ideal for demanding spaces like bathrooms and kitchens.

Times Tango


What we see is landscaped architecture. Two retaining walls follow the contour lines, distorting the ground slightly to inject a courtyard with a garage and technical amenities. A curved pass similar to an architectural promenade reveals this yard and the house’s entrance. There, we access the interior through a split in the second retaining wall.

House by the Lake / FdMP Architectes


So, You Want to Build a House More Efficiently

Raise your ambitions, and dumb it down.


Bohemian MEdia Dragon Rustic Ideas

DeBortoli Sacred Hill Shiraz 2019 Credit: Jackson Flindell/The West Australian

But not this $7.30 bottle of De Bortoli Sacred Hill shiraz 2019.

In fact this Aussie drop is so good, it has just been crowned the best value wine in the annual Top 100 Reds Magazine, put together by wine editor Ray Jordan.




Almost every culture has a ritual of getting drunkin one another's company. What evolutionary purpose does intoxication serve?   Slavic Stories of Slivovica Vodka 


Great interview with Jane Goodall, who is still going full-tilt at 87. "I don't know what the meaning of life is. The meaning of my life is to give people hope because without hope you give up."


Low Pay, No Benefits, Rude Customers: Restaurant Workers Quit At Record Rate. "It was almost like there was this unplanned, unorganized general strike."


For The Guardian, Annalisa Barbieri wrote Why I’m glad that I’m an ‘overthinker’.

“Just going with it” is not something I do. I have to really understand what I’m doing and then I think through almost every possibility and eventuality, like a mind map on steroids. And I plan. When people say things like: “Who could have imagined XYZ would happen?” about some entirely predictable outcome, my most common response is “I could”. I have realised that for most people I am an overthinker, but for me, it is others who underthink. I just think.

I have taken my foot off the overthinking pedal in recent years, but that paragraph more or less describes me to a T. My anxiety and overthinking used to feel like a handicap, like something to be overcome, but Oliver Burkeman’s persuasive argument iThe Antidote convinced me to think about my anxiety as useful and even a little bit of a superpower, as long as it doesn’t spiral out of control.

When Melburnian Jarvis Barker resigned from his job at luxury furniture store Domo, where he was the national visual merchandiser, ...


Scoop has become a prominent news story. This is the result of a poll by the Publishers Association to mark its 125th anniversary. They asked MPs to name their favorite book, and Boris Johnson named Scoop. He offered no explanation for his choice, although several others did briefly explain theirs. Here’s a link to the announcement of the choices (Scoopappears on p. 6).

Patrick Kidd in his Times diary wrote this:

Boris Johnson went to Waugh: specifically Scoop. The prime minister surely does not identify with its hero, William Boot. He is hardly one to chase questing voles through plashy fens. The Johnson role model is more the man Boot replaces at The Beast: Sir Jocelyn Hitchcock, a reporter who can start revolutions simply by making up stories without leaving his hotel room.


Scoop Scooped | The Evelyn Waugh Society


  • Harry's memoir
  • Amartya Sen