Sunday, November 04, 2018

Wild Tales From French Village

 Both art and faith are dependent on imagination; both are ventures into the unknown.
— Denise Levertov, born in 1923

Netflix shook it up, brought this whole new generation of people who said, 'I watch things when I want to watch, how I want to watch, where I want to watch, and that's something that no one's going to ever forget.' This has changed the game completely, and I think it's the tip of the iceberg.
~ Mike Colter  - Rustic Villages Malchkeon






Highly recommended film by movie, opera, theatre legend, Bruce Beresford ... The long lost relationship between small Qld town and war-torn French village - Brisbane Times

Unspeakable: Facing Up to Evil in an Age of Genocide and Terror by Os Guinness

French Village - NYT Watching - The New York Times



We are obsessed with power. A French village shows life needn't be this way | Christina Patterson 


Netflix shook it up, brought this whole new generation of people who said, 'I watch things when I want to watch, how I want to watch, where I want to watch, and that's something that no one's going to ever forget.' This has changed the game completely, and I think it's the tip of the iceberg. Mike Colter
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/iceberg


French Village | Jonathan Walford's Blog - Kickshaw Productions


French TV series confronts reality of wartime collaboration - Telegraph

“I never felt entirely like just one more member of the gang: I was and wasn’t, I did and didn’t, I was inside and out, like a witness or onlooker who participated in everything but most of all watched everyone [else] participate…Aside from Zarco and Tere…I barely spoke to anyone on my own, and I wasn’t close to any of them. For all of them I was…a meteorite, a disorientated kid, a posh brat lost among them…” –Gafitas, aka Ignacio Canas.

OUTLAWS  Catalonia, Historical, Literary, Psychological study, Social and Political Issues, Spain

 “Ever since finishing my last book, I’ve been thinking of how to begin the next one. Beginning is everything and needs to contain, like the seed of a tree, the work as a whole. And so, what I see is the figure of a man descending (from the sidewalk?) five or six steps to a basement apartment, and he’s halfway there. I know it’s a love story. And maybe there’s a woman in the basement apartment. It’s probably November.”
 –
MOODS REVIEW. Experimental, Israel, Literary


I don’t often start essays about leadership with insights from French novelists, but in this case it seems appropriate. “The real act of discovery,” Marcel Proust wrote, “consists not in finding new lands but in seeing with new eyes.” Today the most successful companies don’t just outcompete their rivals. They redefine the terms of competition by embracing one-of-a-kind ideas in a world of copycat thinking. Which means, almost by definition, that the best leaders see things that other leaders don’t see.



If humility is so important, why are leaders so arrogant?
"Lots of executives think they cannot be humble and ambitious at the same time." (Harvard Business Review)




How to really stop procrastinating
"This guide combines hacks with suggested tactics for designing your own more holistic approach to beating procrastination." (Quartz)

The Most Common Voting Scams—and How to Get Around Them - LifeHacker: “Voter suppression tactics are as old as the United States itself. Limited enfranchisement, poll taxes, gerrymandering and, more recently, voter ID restrictions and targeted polling site closures have all been used throughout our country’s history to deny the vote to targeted populations



A Good Place to Hide: How One French Village Saved Thousands of Lives During World War II


Nobody asked questions, nobody demanded money. Villagers lied, covered up, procrastinated and concealed, but most importantly they welcomed. This is the story of an isolated community in the upper reaches of the Loire Valley that conspired to save the lives of 3,500 Jews under the noses of the Germans and the soldiers of Vichy France. It is the story of a pacifist Protesta ...mor
by 


e