Wednesday, January 18, 2006



Bleeding Hands

I can't believe that my holidays are at an end, I have read as much poetry as I could and listened to as many songs as time allowed and watched as many flicks as my eyes could absorb. Gabbie you are a champion for swimming at Tamarama, and running along Bondi beach, taking the costal walks and listening to my musings. Alex I trust that we get to do more things together too this year. Like representing one country or another at the Icebergs on Australia Day. Most of all, I am enriched as I discover each week amazing local artists & creative human beings. Like MJR, I am humbled by being published: I want to drop to my knees and thank the muses and the gods that I am even published at all when I see how many books there are I also think of Elie Wiesel's statement ...to remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all

The wound in my heart
Leaves me tired & weary
Invisible hands try to slow me down
And yet, I keep running
From the monsters within me
They're trying so hard to break out
And I'm falling, falling
Taste the dirt on the ground
Walls growing up all around me
And all I get is bleeding hands

The blood is tainted with poison
From somewhere deep inside my soul
The demons, they are all around me
I've painted the colour of my own destiny
I have forgotten
Those who have loved me
They disappeared so long ago
When I turned my back on their crying eyes
Couldn't look at their frowning faces
And know they saw through my lies

Got caught up in a web of deceit and lies
Now I'm facing the consequence of my sin
There's no one around who can save me now
Left here alone by myself to die
fallen, I've fallen
Tasted dirt from the ground
Walls grew up all around me
I tried and I tried
But all I got was bleeding hands
-The Drowned and the Saved: Bleeding Hearts