Saturday, October 09, 2021

I love books about books. Here are seven of my current favorites. Image without a caption

 “Poisoned potions of immortality caused the death of up to seven Chinese emperors – the last less than three centuries ago.”

-“Death by immortality potion.” The Generalist Academy. May 4,


Saint, Sväty, Imrich aka St. Emeric is most often pictured in knight's armour with crown and lily. It is believed by some Hungarians that Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian explorer and the namesake of the Americas, was named after the saint

Jonathan Cohen. "THE NAMING OF AMERICA: FRAGMENTS WE'VE SHORED AGAINST OURSELVES". Retrieved 1 April 2013.


I should've known
I'd leave alone
Just goes to show
That the blood you bleed 
Is just the blood you owe
We were a pair
But I saw you there
Too much to bear
You were my life
But life is far away from fair
Was I stupid to love you?
Was I reckless to help?
Was it obvious to everybody else
That I'd fallen for a lie?
You were never on my side
Fool me once, fool me twice
Are you death or paradise?
Now you'll never see me cry
There's just no time to die
I let it burn
You're no longer my concern
Faces from my past return
Another lesson yet to learn
That I'd fallen for a lie
You were never on my side
Fool me once, fool me twice
Are you death or paradise?
Now you'll never see me cry
There's just no time to die
No time to die
No time to die
Fool me once, fool me twice
Are you death or paradise?
Now you'll never see me cry

There's just no time to die


STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON, Oktoberfest Edition.



An excerpt from Bourdain: The Definitive Oral Biography. This was tough to read.



I love books about books. Here are seven of my current favorites.


Balloon artist DJ Morrow has been branching out recently. Morrow makes elaborate balloon animals and other things but two of his latest creations are his amazing interpretations of Francisco Goya’s Saturn Devouring His Son and Judith Beheading Holofernes by Caravaggio. I can’t stop looking at these. And prints are available



Shakira: Singer attacked by a pair of wild boarsBBC


Anil Seth Finds Consciousness in Life’s Push Against Entropy Quanta Magazine 



Nanofiber Membrane Filters 99.9% of Salt from Seawater within Minutes Interesting Engineering 


Surfing’ SailDrone Captures Footage From Inside Hurricane Sam Petapixel


A pair of limited-edition sunglasses is now for sale for a whopping $495. What’s special about this eyewear? Well, clothing brand and material science company Pangaia created a pair of sunglasses that is made from carbon dioxide. 

With the help of Twelve, a startup that turns greenhouse gas emissions into the chemical building blocks for new materials, Pangaia used their technology to create polycarbonate lenses. The company used Twelve’s “CO2Made” chemicals instead of fossil fuels. The sunglasses are luxurious, elegant, and lightweight. These design choices were implemented to show how valuable and transformative the eyewear is. 


James Perry: St Ives cop in court for alleged misconduct

The case of a Sydney cop who allegedly searched restricted data on a work computer and illegally disclosed info to family, friends and business associates has been heard in court.



       Two more days until the announcement of this year's Novel Prize in Literature, and at The New Republic Alex Shephard now has a Q & A with Nobel Committee Chair Anders Olsson on the “Renovation” of the Prize for Literature.
       There's not much that might give any clue as to how things will turn out this year -- Olsson actually says: "we have not come to a decision yet, though we are close to it", though I assume the actual interview was conducted a few days ago; they surely have made their selection by now. 
       Some fairly interesting things about the Handke-selection, which a lot of people took issue with -- not least Olsson's observation that: "Handke is a political idiot, you could say" 
       He also mentions:

(W)e have experts from all over the world now. From January of next year, these experts will be giving us reports from areas of language [where] we do not have deep competence within the academy -- Asian and African, languages that we do not command but wish to. That will be a very interesting change, and it will expand our knowledge and our orientation in world literature.

       I was under the impression that they already did rely on 'experts' -- and they've long claimed that they specially commission translations when these are not available ..... 



Email: the worst form of communication yet devised by humankind? Prospect


Meet the Fearless Women of the Lone Star Mower Racing Association Texas Monthly


The Cactus That Came Back from the Dead The Walrus


Stowe Boyd: "In A Capitalist Democracy, The Political Playing Field Is Always Tilted In The Wealthys Direction."