There’s something nourishing about earning the trust of a wild animal. Our magpie neighbours bring their babies to meet us every season, four generations so far.
When we first moved in, a pair of magpies, Marg and Gough, landed on the fence, their heads cocked to one side, watching the puny humans struggle to tame the big backyard. When we mowed the lawn, they followed behind to graze on bugs and worms. They took showers under the sprinkler. They sat on the Hills Hoist and warbled as we pegged out the washing and picked through the piles of soil we left after planting trees.
We’re Already Barreling Toward the Next Pandemic The Atlantic. Well worth a read.
SCIENCE! Victoria named lockdown capital of the world with record case numbers.“Victoria officially became the most locked-down place on Earth at the same time that Victoria Health announced its highest Covid case numbers since the beginning of the pandemic.”
Rowdy celebrations erupt in Norway as COVID restrictions end. And the AP is not happy:
The Norwegian government abruptly announced Friday that most of the remaining coronavirus restrictions would be scrapped beginning Saturday and that life in the nation of 5.3 million would return to normal.
The unexpected announcement by outgoing Prime Minister Erna Solberg to drop coronavirus restrictions the next day took many Norwegians by surprise and led to chaotic scenes in the capital, Oslo, and elsewhere in the country.
“It has been 561 days since we introduced the toughest measures in Norway in peacetime,” Solberg said on Friday at a news conference. “Now the time has come to return to a normal daily life.”
Rowdy celebrations by hundreds of citizens across Norway started Saturday afternoon and lasted until the early hours of Sunday. Police said unrest was reported in several places, including in the southern city of Bergen and the central city of Trondheim, but the situation was the worst in Oslo.
The two groups are challenging various aspects of the orders including rules requiring aged care workers to get vaccinated and prohibiting unvaccinated workers from leaving an LGA of concern for their jobs.
US may sanction those who pay ransomware with bitcoin
Five of the top six members of the Financial Review’s corporate Power list – Comyn, Scott, Banducci, Macquarie CEO Shemara Wikramanayake and BHP’s Mike Henry – signed an open letter from the Business Council of Australia, demanding political leaders stick to the plan to lift restrictions when vaccination rates hit the thresholds agreed by national cabinet.
- Fighting the Rogue Toaster Army: Why Secure Coding in Embedded Systems is Our Defensive Edge
- The Hacker News
- How Cryptocurrency Can Keep Americans Free
- Facebook, Biden officials poised for clash on cryptocurrency
- Study Finds Processing Power Wasted Mining Bitcoin Only Thing Preventing Sentient Computers From Wiping Out Humanity
- The Onion
- Timezone risk on COVID test registration site
- John Shardlow
- ‘very message was copied to the police’: the inside story of the most daring surveillance sting in history
- The Guardian
- Larry Elder supported site claims election fraud that caused Newsom to win in California—BEFORE ANY VOTES HAVE BEEN COUNTED!
- Bolsonaro's Ban on Removing Social Media Posts Is Overturned in Brazil
- Anonymous leaks gigabytes of data from alt-right web host Epik
- Ars Technica
- Travis CI flaw exposed secrets of thousands of open-source projects
- Ars Technica
- An incredible violation of privacy from the GOP!
- Spotlight PA
- Beware the hidden bias behind TikTok resumes
- Apple Issues Emergency Security Updates to Close a Spyware Flaw
- Nicole Perlroth
- Apple and Google bend over for Putin
- Reports that armed police occupied Google Moscow offices demanding opposition app removal
- Hear That? It's Your Voice Being Taken for Profit
- Defeating facial recognition with … natural makeup
- via LW
- Why you need a personal laptop
- The Verge
- Forced Entry: NSO Group iMessage Zero-Click Exploit Captured in the Wild
- Citizen Lab
- Re: Airbus flight computers shutdown
- Peter Bernard Ladkin
- Re: As U.S. Prepares to Ban Ivermectin for Covid-19
- Peter Bernard Ladkin David Canzi
- Info on RISKS (comp.risks)