Sunday, February 02, 2003

Wisdom Kurt Vonnegut

Another interview with Kurt Vonnegut whose quote I must say it again inspires this blog;-) I have no reasons to doubt one of my blogs of note, Bookslut, from whom I shamelessly pinch links, that Kurt is amazingly frisky in his old age. I want to be Kurt Vonnegut when I'm 80.
I myself feel that our country, for whose Constitution I fought in a just war, might as well have been invaded by Martians and body snatchers. Sometimes I wish it had been. What has happened, though, is that it has been taken over by means of the sleaziest, low-comedy, Keystone Cops-style coup d’etat imaginable. And those now in charge of the federal government are upper-crust C-students who know no history or geography, plus not-so-closeted white supremacists, aka Christians, and plus, most frighteningly, psychopathic personalities, or PPs.
· Invaded by Martians [In These Times]

Ben Blames Britain

The Booker Prize-winning novelist Ben Okri has blamed Britain's decline and slide into "imaginative impotence" on its lack of respect for writers. The man has obviously never tried to get a book about the Berlin Wall and Iron Curtain reviewed in Australia.
· The Famished Road [Guardian (UK)]