Sunday, February 23, 2003

I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
- Abraham Lincoln

To satirize Irony
I was an absolutely beautiful child, says historian Andrew Roberts, without a trace of irony. I don’t need to boast, but it’s so hard not to...
If you're going to have a website, it's a vehicle for boasting. My girlfriend tells me the boasting is totally unnecessary now, and I simply don't need to do it any longer, because I have significant achievements.
I've won the Woolfson Prize for History. I'm a Fellow of the Royal Society for Literature. So I don't need to boast . . . but gosh, it's so difficult not to do. I don't know why . . .
A little while later, he returns to the subject. You've got to be driven by something, to do all those hours of work. And for me it's showing off: 'Look at me!'
· Read Me Like A Book [Telegraph(UK)]