Wednesday, April 28, 2021

A Mystery to Itself: What is a brain? London

 Chronicle of Higher Education, Stop Ignoring Microaggressions Against Your Staff:

Three ways that professors and administrators, intentionally or not, put staff ‘in their place.’

“You don’t behave enough like staff,” I was told derisively by the tenured professor who was then my supervisor. Despite my Ph.D., my years of experience at various levels of higher education, and my long list of successes as a faculty developer, this supervisor insisted on pointing out my place within the academic hierarchy. I sat there, in silence, swallowing my anger and shame. ...


Articles of Note

Modern work culture puts such a premium on comity that some crucial is often missing: open disagreement... New office 



April 6, 2021 | In Peter the Great's Russia, the bureaucracy was all. And no one chronicled its pompous, careerist, status-obsessed types better than Nikolai Gogol... media Gogol 


A Mystery to Itself: What is a brain? London Review of Books 

Tiger Mother in trouble? Amy Chua was disciplined by Yale Law School for hosting “boozy parties.” There’s more to the story  ... trouble 


April 5, 2021 | Intimacy was not Helen Frankenthaler's strong suit. She could be insensitive, manipulative, obtuse, competitive, and mercilessly self-absorbed... more »