Wednesday, January 08, 2020

My Obituary

My Obituary
Will it merit a full column in The Post or The Times
or just a squib by a relative late for work?
Will it mention awards I didn’t win,
poems that didn’t quite scan,
and how a student asked me once
if  “To a Daughter Leaving Home”
was my penance for driving a daughter away?
It will surely say I was born in the Bronx,
spending the first few weeks of my life
in the hospital nursery, alone.  Which may
account for my chronic melancholy
and why I keep blaming my surgeon father
who tried to do his best for me
but whose anger always mirrored mine.
Some obituaries written years in advance
are stored in the newspaper’s basement vault,
like turkey vultures asleep in their nests,
just waiting for death to catch up with life.
Let any newspaper where my obituary appears
be used to keep the floor clean under the dog’s dish.
And let my “survived by…” children remember me
not by a list of ambiguous facts collected
like so much mathematical data, but by my usual
obsessions: rising bread and falling leaves.
~ courtesy of Deep Blogger


How did the public image of economists morph from aloof but harmless mathematical mandarins to blameworthy for the Ills of the world ..

JOHN HENRY NEWMAN.-A Sermon for Christmas Day

“THERE ARE two principal lessons which we are taught on the great Festival which we this day celebrate, lowliness and joy. Continue reading 

JOHN HENRY NEWMAN -Christmas Lessons



John Henry Newman was an Anglican priest who converted to Catholicism and who became very influential in the Catholic Church in England. He was highly educated, but had a simplicity about him that attracted many people. Newman’s sermons in particular were very enlightening, geared at the common person, but steeped in spiritual insight.
For Christmas he highlighted two principal lessons, lowliness and joy, when reflecting on the shepherds on that Christmas night.
HISTORY SHOWS AGAIN AND AGAIN HOW NATURE POINTS OUT THE FOLLY OF MEN: Experiment with Genetically-Modified Mosquitoes Backfires in Brazil.