Monday, March 30, 2015

ANZAC stories

Discovering the Anzac records on the Ancestry website will be fascinating reading.



When Dawn Dudkowski was growing up, she would beg her grandfather to tell his war stories over and over. And some rippers did he have.
After missing the battle of Gallipoli due to dysentery, Thomas Ralph Tipton Brian, born in South Yarra 17 years before, went to fight in France.
12-million Anzac records available online

Faces of Anzac: Island paradise of Lemnos led straight to Gallipoli hell

Lemnos Island links to WWI

Blog:
Lemnos

Writers old and young staring across moat

History author Susan Wise Bauer talks about taking a break from writing under deadline--well, behind deadline--for a few years.

"So about a year ago, I promised myself that when I hit my last big deadline, I wouldn’t sign another contract immediately. Instead, I decided to take six months and just write. Go down to my office and work on anything that struck my fancy. Read, reflect, experiment, let my horizons expand."

A few weeks into this hiatus, she entered 'fish mode', and you'll never guess what happened next. It completely blew my mind. I was weeping by the end of her story. Ok, I'm not saying what you might easily conclude I'm trying to say. All I'm saying is click the link to her post to see what 'fish mode' is and how Bauer feels it.

That's all I'm saying. Really.

Oh, and I should also say that Bauer is the excellent author of several history books, such as The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade. Her newest book is The Story of Science: From the Writings of Aristotle to the Big Bang Theory.