Monday, September 23, 2013

Being Scared of Iron Curtains

"Be scared. You can't help that. But don't be afraid. Ain't nothing in the woods going to hurt you unless you corner it, or it smells that you are afraid. A bear or a deer, too, has got to be scared of a coward the same as a brave man has got to be."
~ William Faulkner, "The Bear"

At least one is never bored in hell, I kept reminding him, only in paradise. I’m what you may call a part-time pessimist. I could smell the evils to come as well as he could, but I tend to be of a cheerful temperament. I wake up most mornings full of hope. Still, I can’t deny that in the thirty years since we had these conversations, I’ve grown progressively more exasperated about our species and foresee a day when I will no longer be able to bring myself to read newspapers and watch television out of concern for my mental health. Already I have to ration myself. I give Tom Friedman sixty seconds; George Will thirty. Can one, perhaps, take a broad view and say that we end up by being the opposite of what we once were? I mean, was there ever a case of a young pessimist becoming an optimist in his old age? Not unless he lost a few marbles along the way.  Looking it in a Face

Most police officers take on the job because they want to serve and protect their communities. But there’s a lot of responsibility and power that comes with carrying a badge and gun. And sometimes, good cops turn bad. Very, very bad, especially in the movies. Spoiler alert: If you haven’t seen these films, we’re going to be revealing some key plots twists and endings for some of them, so read at your own risk. We just hope none of these films were based on true stories. Ten Most Corrupt Movie Cops  

Violence in literature is explored by acclaimed author, Jhumpa Lahiri. Bohemian Velvet


"Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry."
~ Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose