Friday, September 01, 2006



It is spring and father's day in full swing and quotes like this do make you wonder about the meaning of life, fatherhood, friendship and so much more (courtesy of Vanessa)

To be what you are is in itself very arduous without trying to become something, which is not difficult. You can always pretend, put on a mask, but to be what you are is an extremely complex affair; because you are always changing; you are never the same and each moment reveals a new facet, a new depth, a new surface. You can't be all this at one moment for each moment brings its own change. So if you are intelligent, you give up being anything.
- J. Krishnamurti

  Your smile is the freshest of my special memories. Regardless of whether we see each other again, I will use it as I do all my other special memories. I will call on it when I am disheartened or low. I will hold it in my heart when I need inspiration. I will keep it with me for moments when I need to find a smile or my own.
The fine line between love and pain

Art of Living & Literature Across Frontiers:
We love to hear the stories of people who have been transformed by their tribulations, perhaps because they testify to a bona fide psychological truth, one that sometimes gets lost amid endless reports of disaster: There is a built-in human capacity to flourish under the most difficult circumstances. Positive reactions to profoundly disturbing experiences are not limited to the toughest or the bravest. In fact, roughly half the people who struggle with adversity say that their lives have in some ways improved.

Hurricanes, house fires, cancer, white-water rafting accidents, plane crashes, vicious attacks in dark alleyways. Nobody asks for any of it. But to their surprise, many people find that enduring such a harrowing ordeal ultimately changes them for the better. Their refrain might go something like this: "I wish it hadn't happened, but I'm a better person for it."


Pleasure only gets you so far. A rich, rewarding life often requires a messy battle with adversity
• · People’s subjective experience at work matters, because positive affect (i.e. emotion) is directly related to how creatively people think on the job. Emotion and Creativity at Work ; Skirting the Line
• · · Project dear to Patricia's heart: It was vital to stop the Germans at El Alamein to prevent them from securing, progressively, the Suez Canal, Palestine, and India, and then linking up with Japan. The consequences for Australia would have been incalculable, but not many Australians now know that the key role at El Alamein was played by the Ninth Australian Division, led by General Sir Leslie Morshead, who turned the tide of the battle in a brilliant piece of generalship. So my nomination is General Morshead.
? Posted by: Patricia Azarias at January 30, 2006 07:19 AM
El Alamein ; ; SBS Board appointments