Saturday, April 05, 2003

The nature of the Jewish and Christian responses to evil

When they came to the place that is called The Skull, they crucified Jesus there. . . . Then Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.
--Luke 23:33–34

So the Philistines seized [Samson] and gouged out his eyes. They brought him down to Gaza and bound him with bronze shackles. . . . They made him stand between the pillars. . . . Then Samson called to the Lord and said, Lord God, remember me and strengthen me only this once, O God, so that with this one act of revenge I may pay back the Philistines for my two eyes.
And Samson grasped the two middle pillars on which the house rested, . . . [and] then Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. He strained with all his might; and the house fell on the lords and all the people who were in it. So those he killed at his death were more than those he had killed during his life.
· The Torturers, Dictators, Homosexuals [Dilemmas]