Wednesday, December 18, 2002

Europe Doing the Continental

A europhile, but not quite to the bone.
· Spying on Cultures [Spectator]

Poetry I have my poems

I have my poems.
Poor old Bukowski; he didn’t keep copies.
Won’t happen to me.
My poems are baby spiders, on the Web
waiting for the vibrations
of a frantic fly.
And that’s why
Jonny Smackhead, you can steal my laptop
but you can’t steal my poems.
They stay with me.
I have my poems.

I have my poems.
I can shoot you with a poem.
The poem
makes two fingers and a thumb into a gun. Ts, ts.
Pow!
“Mum! The reader won’t die!”
You can’t get to me any more.
A bullyproof vest, my poems
protect me.
You can keep your sport, your walks,
ice cream, streetwalkers, ambition at work:
I have my poems.

· Vibrations [ABCTales]

Internet Gutnik: Australian ruling is raising worries

A number of concerned First Amendment advocates say a landmark libel decision by the Australian High Court may have the effect of erecting a fence on the borderless information frontier opened up by Internet technology.
· Borderless information frontier [Boston Globe]

Media US media retain their liberal bias

There are many ironies regarding the seemingly political bias. But, ism it one of the great political myths? Most reporters don't know whether they're Republican or Democrat, and vote every which way.... And also, let me say that I don't think that `liberal' or `conservative' means very much any more.
· Ironies [Boston Globe 2]
· Second Draft Salvo: Historians in bitter plagiarism dispute [The Age]

Arts Over The Hill At 30

Turn 30 in Hollywood, and your career is all but over. And we're not just talking actors and actresses. Writers too. Hollywood once had a notorious blacklist of political radicals; today it has a greylist of 'oldies'. A producer of the ABC sitcom Spin City is on the record as saying that writers over 29 were deliberately not hired. Some writers complain they cannot find an agent once they pass 50, making it almost impossible to present scripts.
· Oldies [The Globe & Mail (Canada)]

Lottery

My eldest son, who is a smart aleck lawyer, calls the National Lottery a fool’s tax. I call it great fun and I play the game of buy, dream and check the numbers.
The Scottish Arts Council alone has invested £170 million in arts facilities and activities up and down the country, not just for flagship buildings, but for dozens of musical instruments, children’s workshops and skills training. Now Scots are being asked if the money's going to the right places...
· Fool’s tax [Scotsman]

Ivan Klíma: A humble giant's wisdom

He is one of the most widely translated Czech writers, yet one cannot help being struck by his modesty. A small man with a quiet voice, he will win you over with his clearly formulated, original opinions.
· Opinions [Prague-Tribune]
· In the morning hours of August 21, 1968, the Soviet army invaded Czechoslovakia. [History]