Sunday, July 03, 2022

Circular Saw

Our  carpenter father Jozef Imrich also did cut one of his fingers with a circular  saw …


Fairy Tale

By Amorak Huey

My father cuts off his thumb with a circular saw.
A tiny magical man makes me an offer.


I cannot refuse. My father’s thumb grows back.
The price I have agreed to pay is too great;

I cannot bear to say its name aloud. In the corner
of every room I enter, the tiny magical man

crouches, nameless and cruel. Not today, he says.
Not today. One day, I will enter a room and he will

not be there, and I will know the bill has come due.
A phone will ring. I will answer. A stranger’s voice

will mispronounce my name, apologize,
hesitate. In this brief silence, foolish hope will bloom


“Jung said exhaustion can be a great window into the unconscious, and it certainly was. One day, around 47, I just couldn’t get out of bed, and I remained in bed for two or three months.”


Lake Mead is less than 150 feet away from becoming a “dead pool,” making much of the Southwestern U.S. uninhabitable Natural News. Furzy: “Amazing shot of nearly empty Lake Mead….(only on NaturalNews tho!!)”

Who’s Going to Save Local Businesses From Amazon And Other Monopolies? The U.S. Postal Service. Washington Monthly


Rental crisis driving up cost on mobile homesCNN


‘I’m Retiring From Sex Work With $1 Million. What Next?’ The Cut. “Move to Costa Rica.”


UK’s Biggest Rail Strike in 30 Years – Tunisia General Strike – Migrant Worker Kicked Out of Singapore Over Facebook Post Mike Elk




       Future Library ceremony and symposium 

       The Future Library in Norway has, since 2014, famously been collecting manuscripts from well-known authors that will only be published in 2114, on paper made from recently planted trees in a nearby forest. 
       Apparently, authors have been unable to hand off their manuscripts since 2018, so the latest three -- by My Struggle-author Karl Ove Knausgård (2019), Ocean Vuong (2020), and Nervous Conditions-author Tsitsi Dangarembga (2021) -- all dropped theirs off together, yesterday. 
       Today, there will be a Symposium -- with, for example, David Mitchell, Sjón, and Rob Young discussing: 'Vertical Labyrinths: Rewriting Time' -- as well as the grand opening of the 'silent room' where the manuscripts will now be kept and on (locked) display. 

       (Updated - 15 June): See now also Rosie Goldsmith's report in The GuardianFuture Library opens secret archive of unseen texts in Oslo (though of course what was 'opened' wasn't the actual archive (i.e. the material), but the room housing it). 



       The ethics of ... autocriticism ? 

       At Practical Ethics Mette Leonard Høeg considers Can a Character in an Autobiographical Novel Review the Book in Which She Appears ? On the Ethics of Literary Criticism
       Høeg writes:

I suggest that some literary works call for precisely a literary criticism that is personal and based on the critic’s experiences with the author and the reality it presents. I propose to use the term autotheoretical criticism, or, simply, autocriticism, to designate a genre or kind of literary of criticism which foregrounds the critic’s personal relation to the author of the reviewed work and which is based on the view that such a personal/private connection is relevant, if not even necessary in order to adequately assess the reality-referencing and confessional project of the many works in contemporary literature that blend fiction and autobiography, i.e. to criticise such genre-blending works according to the parameters they themselves set out.

       Oh, good, more terminology ..... 
       Anyway, I'm very much hoping never to be in a position where I have to consider this. I could also do without ever seeing "criticism which foregrounds the critic’s personal relation to the author of the reviewed work".