Fintech Is a Scam — A Listicle in Eight Parts Cory Doctorow, Marker. With a shout-out to NC.
Unlocking the secrets of the world’s oldest computer
Whistleblower warns baffling illness affects growing number of young adults in Canadian provinceGuardian. Guardian driving local coverage (which mentions past coverage by MacLeans, the Globe and Mail, and The Walrus).
The Roots of Inequality: An Exchange New York Review of Books
Your attention didn’t collapse. It was stolenGuardian (dk). dk comments: “Too much personal/class framing and schmaltz, but some useful info and observations on multi-tasking and info overload.” The Graceland story is pretty amazing.
How a Decade-Old Game Helped Me Cope with Seasonal Depression Wired. Better than carbs!
Pet Scams continue to increase over holidays
BBB Studies. Here are links to the study topics of my studies: puppy fraud, romance fraud; BEC fraud, sweepstakes/lottery fraud, tech support fraud, romance fraud money mules, crooked movers, government imposters, online vehicle sale scams, rental fraud, gift cards, job scams, and online shopping fraud
- Oregon Sheriffs deputy pleads guilty of stealing vaccination cards from jail
- Maryland man busted; ordered 600 fake vaccination cards online and sold them for $75 each
- Court grants injunction against claims made for Nano Silver that it can treat or prevent covid
Fraud News Around the world
- CAFC lists top five scams in Canada last year; crypto investments top the list, followed by romance scams
- Increase in Russian cyber attacks on Ukraine as troops mass on border
- Hong Kong residents lose HK $726 million to callers impersonating mainland Chinese government officials
- Virginia: Man pleads guilty to inheritance scam and not paying taxes on proceeds from elderly victims; got $632,000
- IRS reminds public to include income from stolen property and illegal activity on tax forms
- Ontario police look for leads in Christmas butter heist
Virus Benefit Theft
- White House downplays Secret Service estimate of $100 billion in scam losses
- UK scammers stole £10 million from Bounce Back loan program while out on bail for money laundering
- Rapper Baby Blue gets 20 months prison for PPP fraud; bought Ferrari; sought $24 million
- Secret Service has seized $1.2 billion in fraudulent unemployment benefits
Business Email compromise fraud
- Hits French IT company Inetum
- Attack on photography company Shutterfly
- Hits large Vietnamese crypto exchange
Bitcoin and cryptocurrency
- Pirated copies the new Spiderman movie contain bitcoin mining software
- Australian mining magnate to sue Facebook over allowing his name to be used to promote crypto scams
Jamaica and Lottery Fraud
Romance Fraud and Sextortion