Ken Follett's 1978 spy novel The Eye of the Needle contains the following:
His name is Frederick Bloggs, and he gets annoyed if you make jokes about it.
Rumors of blogs' demise are exaggerated, but a lot less obsession would be healthy Blog Epitaphs? Get Me Rewrite!
This is not a media dragon or a beech tree, but rather my MD or my beech tree, something that I, with my sensations, have constructed in all its details. Everything that I see, hear, smell or feel are not qualities that exclusively belong to the beech, but rather are characteristics of my sense organs that I project outside of myself. In the eye of the naive person only the one world of appearances is visible, which, surrounded by space and time, is full of sounding, smelling, coloured things. In this way soulful life offers to the naive man an unlimited enrichment of his world, while the physicist makes of him a beggar.
The Blog, The Press, The Media: In a Dark Time ... The Eye Begins to See
Six Apart's Mena Trott helped start the stampede by co-designing user-friendly software. But she thinks the blogging trend is only just beginning
It's hard to imagine the world without blogs. The publishing technology has become a cultural and political force. One of the reasons for the rapid growth of the blogosphere is the existence of user-friendly blogging software such as Moveable Type. The program was designed with simplicity in mind by Mena Trott, a former graphic designer and early blogger (she launched dollarshort.org in early 2001), and her husband, Ben Trott, a programmer.
• The Future of the Blog [The verticals, as Gary Price calls them, win in this case - By vertical, I mean travel-specific search engine. Finding a Hotel ; Your Daily Cup of Ontology ; Slate has 8 millions readers. Honest. Or maybe it's 4 million. Which should you believe? There's only one media-ratings system no one takes seriously: Web site rankings.]
• · There was a time when the press was the strongest guardian of free expression in this A Failure of the Press; Rendez-vous at Vnunet ; Retailers and companies in the European financial sector are haemorrhaging money because of poorly performing e-commerce websites Poor e-commerce sites cost UK millions
• · · Government says IT boosts productivity by billions; And yet... In all the houses and streets there is peace and quiet. Out of fifty thousand townsfolk there's not one ready to scream or protest aloud Virtual Economics As If People Mattered
• · · · At first sight it looks like a regular cell phone — same size, same shape, same overall appearance. But beneath the digital face lies a .22-caliber pistol, a phone gun capable of firing four rounds in quick succession with a touch of the otherwise standard keypad. GunCellphone ; The first order of business is to keep an open mind The Long Tail: Death of the Blockbuster
• · · · · Take a walk through actual days in the lives of professionals in top careers ; Yahoo! Free speech in China
• · · · · · A single global readership may explain its growing success at a time when most magazines are experiencing declines in circulation. The Brits May Be Onto Something ; As Bill Bryson aptly noted, Britain is a small island. The bigger, the better? The British small publisher begs to differ publisher begs to differ. And as long as Google sells ads, publishers be damned Is Google mad, or just bad at reading? Library Book Search:
• · · · · · · So what's the secret of Cold River?An absence of bylines is all part of the prestigious media dragon’s mystique. Slovak-born Andy Warhol(a) is credited with saying (and I paraphrase): The most sincere form of art appreciation is writing a check. Of course Andy would think that—being an artist—but I'm not so sure that's as true today as it was when Andy offered it. Not in France anyway All comedy, is tragedy, if you only look deep enough into it ; UK Blackwell Death plucks my ear and says, Live—I am coming ; Cold River: The Cold Truth of Freedom ; Quartermelon; Paperbackshop-US; Bookplace Ltd; LAKESIDE BOOKS Stratford Books ; Political Science > Communism & Socialism 9781554043118 US ; UK ; Canada; Whole Wide World