We are packed and ready to invade new school and old grounds at Bondi area. Another interesting chapter in our book - as they say the only place where there is no inflation, exitement, emotional rollercoaster is the cemetery. Outside the cemetery life keeps going on and on - no matter what ...
Benjamin Franklin said, "Things that hurt instruct."
Do I think I have to hurt to learn?
I walk. I talk. I trip every now and
then. Occasionally I fall down. I dance
in elevators when no one is looking,
but I will not run for a bus. ME Strauss
Art of Living & Literature Across Frontiers: What does it mean to be a radical?
Radicalism was quite distinct from the modern American usage of radical to denote political extremes of right or left.
The meaning of language is often misunderstood, but the confusion that comes out of the pure ignorance for disregarding history, is boundless. From Wikipedia: the term Radical (latin radix meaning root) has been used since the late 18th century as a label in political science for those favouring or trying to produce thoroughgoing or extreme political reforms which can include changes to the social order to a greater or lesser extent. Historical
• Only a reactionary knows best [For many conservatives, the publication of Jesse Helms’s memoirs is a melancholy event. It reminds them of a time when there was one politician they could count on, time and time again, to take lonely stands against polite—i.e., liberal—opinion Here’s Where I Stand: A Memoir, Jesse Helms ; I'd like to burn you at the stake! ]
• · An article on Simon Bolivar and the art of letter-writing ; A caption contest chez boynton, suggested by Nabakov ; Altruism demands that an individual serve others, but doesn’t stipulate whether those others should be one’s family, or the homeless, or society as a whole Villainy and the nature of evil (in 5 parts)
• · · Some things learned in school will inform major life choices that students make during college. Take shirtlessness, for example. A Shirt Isn’t a Prerequisite ; You may remember Chip McGrath from 2004 when he defended the fact that under his direction 72% of the books reviewed at the New York Times Book Review were by men by arguing that "more books are written by men than by women Boy, Girl, Boy ; Why have Catholics stopped lining up at the confessional? The Sin Box
• · · · Brilliant young writer's poetic licence ; Orwell the angry proletarian Two irascible Englishmen: Mr. Waugh and Mr. Orwell
• · · · · The California Aggie profiles Josh Clover, poet and former music critic -My interest really has been in the ways that people dismiss popular culture,” Clover said. “It’s more of a political decision than a choice of taste … a class bias against things that can be real expressions of human existence. From pop culture to poetry ; In Republican Like Me, journalist Harmon Leon infiltrates the Red (State) Menace to find out what makes conservatives so dang kooky Behind Enemy Lines
• · · · · · Do you suffer from extremely bad hangovers? ; Peter Drucker – The Austrian-born, US economist and management consultant pioneer died just a week shy of his 96th birthday Irony in guru's death on day GM does a deal