Thursday, January 06, 2005



Pretty proud of your blog's traffic numbers? Czech out BoingBoing's stats and Jump off the Lomnicky Stit, St Stefan’s Cathedral, the Gap or the Harbour Bridge
Borrowing a famous laugh line from the 1967 movie, "The Graduate," I want to say one word to you -- just one word (well, four, actually): Google, Amazon, and Media Dragon We BoingBoinged 3000 entre on MMMedia Dragon
[Full Disclosure: ... even my Mamka does not read my blog ... However, my cousin did show it to her once. I gather that was enough for her ... While other people have a life I have a living blog :-)]
On a more positive side, this year, MMV AD, The Australian Red Cross not only gave me a savvy clock, but also presented me with a priceless sticker which states I’m One in a Million... If only I can get the marketing department to agree to celebrate Red Cross' 75 years of saving antipodean lives with XXL T-shirts. - At $29.99 they would sell like hotcakes!!!
[Life Clipping: Gabriella laughed when I stood on the scales which creamed error On my second attempt, performed shoelessly, the faulty scales recorded my weight as 107 kg. (Try to explain to your offsprings that muscle is heavier than fat) No way could I have put four kilos since October 2004! My hemigloben was 145 and my oxygen is in excellent supply. My blood pressure read 110/75 or visa versa (sic) and the needle loves me a few times a year:-)]

The Blog, The Press, The Media: Something Else: Moments of Comparison
Indeed, the Dewey decimal system fails Barista's family missionary position. The Library of *Congress* details it far better.
(This time I'm not sure who made me say that ... but they also ran away.)
- Sedgwick, The Master and Commander and Something Else a Gavernor-in-Waiting

It is a boon to enthusiasts, experts, motormouths, attention seekers and underminers. Pure spiritual generosity coexists with pure verbal evil. "All human life is here displayed".
It is particularly useful for people who are isolated, by temperament, place, resources or particular circumstances. We form communities that have nothing to do with where we are, or what we look like. It is not that you can be anyone you want to be - there are other forums and game spaces for that - but that you can be the you which needs to interact with the world. That sentence conceals huge complexities.
The internet is a fabulous antidote to self obsession and self pity. I have my list of blogs which give me the perspective to get my life back under control. A few posts ago, I called it contact with grace.
Some people have remarked that Barista is hard to categorise. I have no problem in my own mind - I am basically collating the magazine I would build if I was an omnipotent editor. Magazine blog - "magablog". But I am beginning to reconceptualise the whole enterprise, partly to share it with guests and create some stable columns.


Instead, I reveal the direction of my curiosity. [People who work at journalism full time ought to be able to do a better job of it than people for whom it is a hobby. But that's not going to happen as long as we "professional" journalists ignore stories we don't like and try to hide our mistakes. We think of ourselves as "gatekeepers." But there is not much future in being a gatekeeper when the walls are down ]
• · A great deal of that criticism had come from bloggers, who in turn were egging the mainstream media on in a story that ultimately would not go away. The stench from DeLay's sleaze was too much in the end even for the Republican majority that had been so casually consigning ethics to the trash heap. I'd give two blogs special credit. One is Talking Points Memo. The other is the Daily Delay. They kept up the pressure, and made a difference. DeLay Rule Overturned: Bloggers' Symbiosis with Mainstream Media; [brought to us by Dan Gilmore who is No Longer Responsible to Dead Trees
(First Comment at Dan’s Den dotes on the fact that Now we're doin' it. This is _so_ much like 1776, I can't believe it. We can speak and make ourselves heard.
We're no longer outnumbered by the House and Senate. And it's a really, really great day.
)
• · · Forecast 2005: For Newspapers, Competition Too Big to Ignore ; [A 3-and-a-half year old free tabloid launched by a Swedish company that believes the future of newspaper profits lies in giving away the news. The Times Buys Another Container ]
• · · · 60 Minutes is no longer cutting edge to me. Do you ever feel like you are way ahead of the news?
• · · · · Cable War: Can Murdoch Outfox CNBC?
• · · · · · The annual release of cabinet papers under the thirty-year rule (itself an absurdity - why not make it five years?) has been pushed off the front pages by the Asian tsunami disaster. Left hypocrisy over Whitlam papers