Saturday, September 20, 2003

Of Books And Mortality

It's easy to see old brittle books and wonder at their fragility. But encountering them later in life one wonders:
What are 20 years to a book that survived the Inquisition? I, meanwhile, am more than twice the age I was when I saw it last. I am married, I have children and I am mourning my father, who died this year. I can't help thinking that part of the dread I felt seeing those fragile books as a teenager was unconscious anticipation of the moment when I would see them again as an adult and realize that I was the ephemeral one.

· So It Is Written: Books Are Memory [The New York Times 09/19/03 http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/19/books/19FAIR.html]

Banned Books
Tomorrow marks the beginning of Banned Books Week...
· Libraries Memories [ALA]
· Virgin Palm Digital Media Edition