Nature is not stingy
with her miracles
We simply forget to look
🎨 Abby Jacobs
“We enter life and thus inherit
The kingdom of the human voice.
The Word is Word because we share it.
Wonder encourages our choice
To sort out life’s conflicting data,
To come to terms with its traumata,
To shape ourselves to nothing less
Than reasoned self-forgetfulness.
For years we've traded rhyme and measure,
And if our poems are books today,
It is in hopes that others may
Take from them solace, sense, or pleasure,
Though years pass with their wonted speed
And though the times we shared recede.”
End of dinner parties
The sincerity files
New poetry
In defense of human nature
The great tradition
World’s most educated person?
Who is Dan Ariely?
Annie Dillard, R.I.P.
The last rat-free zone
Frances Stonor Saunders, R.I.P.
Coltrane as icon
Machado de Assis
Coetzee's dusklands
Art heist
Famous writers
Anita Brookner
Wendell Berry, R.I.P.
Mary Oliver
Paul “Claude” Gigot
Campus novels
Irvine Welsh
On plagiarism
Whither literary men?
Teaching Huck Finn
Against affect
Arrests in Cézanne heist
What literacy crisis?
AI-cheating industrial complex
Rachel Syme
Pathologizing humanities scholarship
Against workshopping
'Great and Unfortunate Things'
Confessions of a token Black scholar
Rehearsing real life
Jayne Kennedy
Jason Arday
Museum sunlight
Steven Shapin
When identity replaces argument
Sheila Heti
What sells books
Cult of Thomas Bernhard
Uninformed attack on literary studies
Failure qua failure
Chekhov and Tolstoy
Literary quote quiz
Remembering Gordon Wood
Hachette unionization
Historians as pundits
Enjoying John Ashbery
Amish language
Max Planck, retracted?
Rebecca Tuvel
Frederick Wiseman
Carlo Ginzburg, R.I.P.
Academic McCarthyism?
Summer reading
John Basinger, R.I.P.
George Saunders
Scientific serendipity
Gordon S. Wood, R.I.P.
On William Gass
AI's literary style
Books and AI
James Buchanan
Bad college teaching
Kerouac and mindfulness
Franklin Pierce
Butcher books
George Scialabba
Against "learning-management systems"
Laura B. McGrath
End of the scholarly article?
Story of spectacles
Tiger moms
Climbing Everest
Pulitzer winners
Nelio Biedermann
Jia Tolentino
Literary middlemen
Return of little magazines
Daniyal Mueenuddin
Loving poets
Identitarian disqualification
"Infinite Jest" turns 30
Good book news
Art fairs
Among the Antigones
Serpell on Toni Morrison
Whither American Studies?
Drawing 'Wuthering Heights'
'Show, don't tell'?
Patrick Radden Keefe
On Shostakovich
Mispronouncing "Thoreau"
Starving for serendipity
Inbreeding Neanderthals
Sheep dreams
Literary LLMs
"Unmasking" Ferrante
Wrong movie titles
NIH collapse
Glenn Lowry
'Dean's List'
Ann Godoff
Anti-liberal historians
Animal longevity
Publishing scams
Mystery of migraines
Namwali Serpell
Twilight self
Lords of the ring
Jeffrey Epstein’s reading list
Rebranding “Wuthering Heights”
Jeffrey Epstein, litterateur
Bezos's WaPo
Ron Charles
Georges Borchardt, R.I.P.
Best scholarly books
Religion of beauty
A brief and unsatisfying novel
DeLillo's hockey fiction
American Studies
The visual turn
The hard problem
American oboes